Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Work, work and more work!

The porridge was good!
In my Sunday post I mentioned that I was alone in the house for a few days. Well my wife has returned and the kitchen was in one piece, the washing machine still worked and I am sure I have put on weight from the massive meals I cooked. I am pleased to report that the porridge I learned to cook  (well it's not that hard- put rolled oats in pot, put in water and bring to boil, simmer and serve) was beautiful. (I tend to have a little bit of porridge with my brown suger) I had difficulty with quanitities in all my meals, over estimating each time, but is that a fault? The only domestic issue I had was that I washed my PJ's and I think I left a paper tissue in the pocket. Little bits of white paper stuck to everything in the wash.  Back to civilised eating and not sleeping diagonally across the bed.
I HATE electric car windows!
Every car I have had with electric windows has caused problems. On Tuesday night my driver's window in Wanda (Nissan Bluebird) came out of its clamps and dropped to the bottom of the door. I had to get a lead lamp out, my tools and strip the car door in the dark. I glued stuff back together and everything works fine. I did not eat dinner till after 9 p.m. and then typed up a sermon for our Church blog. I got to bed at 1a.m.!
Valiant Volunteers! 
On Wednesday night I went to the township of Otematata. They had a tragedy where the volunteer fire fighters turned up to a car accident and the deceased person was one of their own. The guy's father was driving the fire truck. I went with two other guys to run a debrief. I always get nervous about these, but it went well. One of the "gifts" I have is that I can generally facilitate a group well. I take my hat off to these volunteers in these small towns. They do a great job and are often exposed to difficult situations where they know the victims. It was a privilege to share with them. We drove there and back (Over 400k return trip) in a fireservice kingcab ute. I don't think they were designed for passengers for a long trip, it was not comfortable. We got home at midnight. The fire service got 8 hours of my time for nothing! I hope it is appreciated. Another 1 a.m. bed time.

 A full day.
It is now 6 p.m. on Thursday. I started the day with a 9-10 supervision. I spent two hours at the Brewery. I spent one hour at Space2B, half an hour at an Elders' meeting and three hours at the Newspaper chaplaincy. A full day of relating. Tonight I will work on Sunday's service after tea. I look back on my day and ask myself if I have been efficient in the use of my time? I think I have. There have been no slots when I have just done nothing, the only "breaks" were when I was walking between chaplaincies and Church. I even ate my lunch while relating to guests at Space2B.
Sad thoughts
I love the work that St John Ambulance does. I enjoy the company of the paramedics, the mechanics, the office staff. As the time gets closer for me to finish my chaplaincy there I feel more sad about it. I think the care of "the troops" will not be as good, but just personally, I will miss the contact with these people I have come to admire and enjoy over the last 14 years. Tomorrow will be my second last visit there as their Workplace Support Chaplain. 

No comments: