Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, November 11, 2011

Busyness and "missionaries"

Blood bank appointment.
On Thursday morning I had an 8:10 a.m. appointment with the blood bank. (My 20th donation they informed me) I arrived and went through the normal checks. As I settled into the couch/bed thingy (they would be great to have at home) the nurse proceeded to stick the needle in and get my blood flowing to a plastic bag that rocks away beside the bed. Making small talk the nurse asked if I had a big day ahead of me. I hesitated, then said "Yes, till about 9 tonight."  Then came the inevitable question I often hate, "What do you do?"  'Here comes the end to the conversation' I thought. As soon as you say, "I am a church minister" people often stop talking. I said that then went on to explain that I do workplace chaplaincy as well. This conversation did continue for a while and was quite pleasant. As I sat there with my blood flowing out of me thinking about my day ahead it dawned on me that I do work long hours. That day I had two chaplaincies to visit, a New Immigrants' tour to help host, preparation to do and a meeting to attend. As it turned out my carefully planned timetable was interrupted by a visit to a man and his sister whose 101 year old mum is nearing the end of her life.
Busy but OK about it
I decided as I sat there doing some mental arithmetic that I "work" around 60 hours a week. I do find these days that I tend to have "flat" days every now and then when my work is slow because I am a bit burned out.  The next day, however, I hit my straps again so I accept this cycle. My "work" is interesting in that I go from being a minister in Church to a chaplain "out there." I pass from being a thoughtful reader and contemplative to an active conversationalist. My job can involve doing administration to practical furniture moving, venue preparing activity. I tend to have each day loaded with things to do so I am moving from one to the other with a sense of adventure. Lunch times are also work. Often because it involves conversation it does not feel like work. I will say sometimes, "I better go do some work." and the people I am talking to in Space2B or chaplaincy will remind me, "You are working! This is your work!" I still look forward to retirement though, I guess long to be free of constantly having stuff to do over my head.
Youth with a Mission
I arrived at the drop-in centre after a busy Friday. My wife informed me that three of the guests at the Drop-in that night were to be young people from Youth with a Mission. A part of their training, apparently is to hit the road with little in their pocket and visit places. These three, two young women and a guy, had hitched rides from Ashburton and arrived in town and had found out that we ran a Friday night drop-in centre.  "Everybody knows this church" they said about their detective work around town. They had no accommodation planned, it is all part of "having faith". They were all from overseas and I found out, in the little conversation we managed, they were attractive nice people to talk with.  We fed them alongside the others at the drop-in, (telling them that we do not preach at people) they mixed constructively with people and even did some dishes.(A big plus in my book) I lined up some accommodation at the night shelter and dropped them there. Perhaps I should have been more christian and had them at our home?  I am just not sure about the process? We could have used them better if we knew they were coming? Does God want us to bludge off others in the way they are doing?   Perhaps I am bludging off others? After-all people donate to pay me. Anyway I got them two nights' accommodation. It does make you think though. Here were keen Christian young people, I wonder, how did they perceive what we were doing at the drop-in centre?  Maybe I'll ask them if I see them again.  As we showed them to their room at the Night Shelter, the naughty side of me felt jealous. What a great life this young guy from Finland had - swanning around the country with two gorgeous young women!  I think I'll join Youth With A Mission!  :-)

No comments: