Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, November 14, 2011

Doing good


I read a page in the local paper about the famous basketball player Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson retired from basket ball when he contracted the HIV virus. Twenty years later he continues to live well, has done heaps for HIV sufferers and has been an inspiration to many. He said this recently....

"I have to tell you, I'm proudest of my life off the court. There will always be great basketball players who bounce that little round ball, but my proudest moments are affecting people's lives, effecting change, being a role model in the community." 


I recall Sir Edmund Hillary, that great Kiwi adventurer said something very similar about his heroic adventures. His efforts on Mt Everest and in the Antarctic were great, but his work among the Nepalese people he saw as an achievement of real value. I think these words are great. They remind us that the greatest thing we can do is make a difference in people's lives. All Black rugby players can learn from such greats who use the fame they have earned for good, and go on to do really good stuff after their career.

I could not help but contrast the above statement with one that was made in my office today. This young man comes to our drop-in activities and had tried to support a young woman who was a drug and alcohol addict. In spite of our warnings otherwise he thought she had changed and wanted to support her.  I think he thought we were being hard nosed and intolerant. Unfortunately he found out otherwise, it all turned to custard. "I feel really crap!" he said, "I thought doing good for others was meant to make you feel good?" I empathised with him and told him I thought his goodness could contribute in the long run. It is true though, sometimes you have to do good in the face of few returns.

I believe doing good is ultimately immensely rewarding. Even though you may feel like you are banging your head against a wall, you know you have tried to do something worthwhile.  Others just go through life paddling in the shallows.  Along the way there are times when you "feel like crap."

I know I have posted the last four days, like I have verbal diarrhea, but I just had to share this while it was fresh in my mind. Forgive me.


2 comments:

Linda Myers said...

I always listen to your post!

For myself, if I stay away from giving too long, I get depressed and anxious. When I'm right in there, I feel good. I suspect that's how God works.

Dave Brown said...

I agree Linda. All the best with the book. I have not been in combat but deal with firefighters and ambulance staff and volunteers. Stuff sticks with them long after they think it has gone and triggers happen. You and Art have done a brave thing sticking with producing the book. Hope it all just comes together easily from now on.