Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday night again.


Sunday afternoon walk.
I went up "my" Mount Cargill from Bethunes Gully, the longest track. As I was headed up I encountered a lot of women trampers of all ages coming down. One I did not recognise at first said a warm "Hello". She was a woman from one of my chaplaincies and stopped to talk awhile. I asked why all these women and she told me it was a tramping group. They had started at 8 a.m. and done three peaks.... Flagstaff, across to Swampy summit and then over to Mount Cargill. I said I was so jealous, what a great way to spend the day. I told her I loved to walk up Mount Cargill. She enthusiastically replied, "You should join a tramping club!" I said ruefully, "Maybe when I retire." I know that with my schedule I could not be part of a club just now. I have explored running clubs, cycling clubs and tramping clubs but as a minister I cannot really participate in any of these. Sundays are often their main day for activity and I am too busy during the week to be involved. I wonder if I will regret the job I am in later in life?
  I took the video because I wanted to communicate the sounds I enjoy on the walk. I like the sound of the little waterfalls. I also love the evening birdsong though its not in the video.
Wedding
I conducted a wedding ceremony on Saturday. The bride was a lady in her forties who I had met on Habitat for Humanity sites and who had been part of committees I was on. She is a very nice lady and we were thrilled when she developed this friendship with a nice guy, that evolved into them getting engaged. They asked if I would take the wedding and if they could have it in our Church, with refreshments to follow. There were to be only a few people there. I woke on Saturday morning with a dusting of snow on our cars and went in to town to meet the couple at the church. Together with her mum we set up tables and coffee machines and food. I went off to the office to finish the preparations for the wedding and the bride and groom went to different rooms to change out of their jeans. We all appeared all polished up and we had a brief but meaningful wedding ceremony. They had asked me if I would be happy for an elderly (86yrs) woman who is in their church cell group to pray for them. They asked her just before the ceremony and on cue she rose in beautiful fashion, held each of the couples hands and led in a beautiful heartfelt prayer of support for the couple. We then shared in sandwiches, dessert and cake together in the Church Friendship room. It was a sensible, meaningful and warm intimate wedding. A privilege to be a part of it.
People
I have said this before... I am lucky to be involved with people. I went to one chaplaincy on Wednesday and for a short time on Thursday. I was warmly greeted and chatted with people there. With one young man I worked out that I had taken the wedding of his girlfriends parents. He was quite intrigued as we talked about the family. I called at the brewery on Thursday also. In some ways it was not an official visit, because it was not my week, but I talked with about four people and we talked like old friends easily dropping into significant conversation. It was as I was walking back from the brewery that I felt privileged to have the job I have.  On Friday I visited fire stations. Of course I gave cheek and received good natured abuse but again I was warmly received. One man followed me out to the car and expressed appreciation sincerely and warmly for how I had led his dad's funeral. During the week I rang another man from a chaplaincy whose wife was in hospital. We talked briefly about her condition then he thanked me for touching base and said he would be in touch if he needed me, but mean time he will "abuse me as usual". We laughed and said our goodbyes. I get to be friends with a lot of people, it is special and I should appreciate it more.

Snow at low levels on Saturday morning in November!

Jason and Raewyn after their wedding with their friend Barbara who led the prayer of support.

A bridge on my Mt Cargill walk.


The path when you return to Bethunes Gully. 

No comments: