Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, April 13, 2012

Talking and listening

Today has been Friday. On Fridays I go into the office at 9 a.m. and leave after the drop-in centre some time after 10 p.m. It is a long day. As I look back on today I have not done much except talk with people. I have a friend comes in early on Fridays for coffee. I spent time talking with him and another couple of people who joined us. I went down to the office and did some looking up readings and emails for a while but then had a visit by two folks from out of town. I talked with them and then with some people who had gathered in Space2B.   I went over to St John and shared in conversation there. I paid a brief visit to the office, did some work toward Sunday, but at 3 p.m. headed to the Fire stations for over two hours of talking and listening. Back at the church I caught up on life issues with helpers gathered for the drop-in centre. At 6:30 we opened the drop-in and I had people talking "at me" all night. Some of them had mental health issues and I had to listen and tolerate things like endless repetition or people upset by others' behaviour. I ran two guys home and they talked or ranted on. Finally I have come home to rest. Fire fighters are concerned about their contract negotiations. They feel they will lose money in what is being offered and the let off steam about that. Some people talked about ongoing health problems. Another man had his position disestablished and faced uncertainty because of having to apply for a new job. Another man with mental health issues told me of relatives who ran a business. "They are very religious people. They don't want to know me. They don't want mental health patients in their family!" Another man said, "Sex is bad. I hate it! It is only good if you want to make babies."  "Is that so?" I replied but disagreed with him in my head. Another was upset because an opponent was serving illegally in table tennis. Somebody else was annoyed because somebody had sworn at him. Another man kept asking if it was bad luck to get a hair cut on black Friday (13th) "Yes or no?" he demanded. When I said, "I didn't think it mattered." he would not accept that. In the end I said, "It must have been good luck. You get to spend time with me!" Tonight I go to bed frustrated that a lot of preparation, administration and paper work has not been done. I also go feeling drained emotionally from listening. But I have a sense of privilege about being personally involved in people's lives.

1 comment:

milan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.