Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, October 31, 2013

If I were a carpenter...



I was talking to my son the other night. He trained in the hospitality industry and has learned coffee roasting. He has worked successfully in these areas, but lately has been working as a labourer with his father-in-law who is a builder. Now my son tells me he has signed on for an adult carpentry apprenticeship.  There is a little bit of me that is jealous. I love building, and often feel like I would have enjoyed being a carpenter. Recently my wife and I flew up to Waiheke Island (Auckland NZ.) to visit my other son, his wife and daughter. While there over the weekend my son and I did some building. It went so smoothly and it turned out well. We built a porch over his back deck. I really enjoyed it. He is quite clever with his hands so we got on famously as we planned and built this addition. I love building, I would have enjoyed being a carpenter. But then I enjoyed plumbing too? I enjoy mucking around with cars and motors too? And, over all I have enjoyed the challenges of ministry and church chaplaincy. You just cannot do everything in life. I look forward to retirement and time to do stuff like building.





1 comment:

Anthony said...

The breadth and depth of your skills is actually quite breathtaking.
I read your letter in the ODT. You may have hit the nail on the head with "sceptical cynicism"..