Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, October 28, 2013

The bad and good.

In NZ the weekend has been "Labour Weekend." Monday is a holiday which celebrates the establishment of an eight hour day and a forty hour week. It makes no difference to me because Monday is normally my day off.
Bad...
Sunday was my tenth last service of my ministry career and I survived - only nine Sundays to go. I do not have a say on what happens after I leave the Church, but in a conversation I heard about the current proposals. I was saddened because it is not what I would choose, but I need to butt out and walk away. It is not my responsibility.
Sad...
After my traditional Sunday afternoon "exercise" (It used to be running but it has descended to a dawdle) I went to the Night Shelter to pick up mail.  There was a cold wind blowing with the odd spot of rain. It was 4:30 p.m. and the Night Shelter opens at 7 p.m. When I arrived there I found a man with his upper body lying under the shelter afforded by the front door step while his legs and feet were open to the weather. He looked a bit seedy and sleepy, but I could not let him in the shelter.  He would have to wait the two and a half hours. I feel sad that there are so many vulnerable people around not coping with life.
Good...
One of the letters I picked up said this....
"Dear Mr Brown, in response to your plea for help in purchasing your present night shelter buildings, i was moved to send you this cheque. I admire you and your helpers for giving up your time and energy to accommodate those who need a bed. I wish you success in your appeal. With best wishes... " ($1000 enclosed) 
That is pretty generous isn't it? 
Monday a good day off....
Good....
As well as being Labour Day, Monday is my day off, and my wife and I seem to find an excuse every Monday morning to go to a big hardware store in town for a cup of coffee. While drinking my coffee I waved to one of my fire fighters waiting in the que with his partner to purchase his coffee. To my surprise he came over greeted me warmly, shook hands and hugged me. (NZ men seldom hug - except on the rugby field) We fell into deep and personal conversation. He began with, "I told my partner I was going to go and hug God!" "Oh a promotion!" my wife said. 
More good...
From the hardware store we went to the supermarket and there I bumped into a mechanic who had been made redundant from one of my chaplaincies. (My ever patient wife rolls her eyes when I keep bumping into people I know) Again he and I fell into warm personal conversation and when we eventually finished we said almost in unison, "Its been great seeing you."
Hard...
We came home for lunch. On Sunday evening I had received an email with a request for me to visit an out of town St John Ambulance person in hospital going through a bad experience with cancer. I exchanged my relaxed clothing for tidy attire and went off to the hospital to do the visit. To be honest I was churned up about making this visit. I am busy and somehow emotionally at a low ebb. While I look forward to retirement, endings bring sadness. I was not sure what I had to offer these strangers. I called and found this couple facing this challenge in life together. The husband was determined to sit by his wife as she faced this battle. They were brave and lovely people. It was hard, sad but somehow good.
Good twice over...
On leaving the hospital I walked through a shopping mall. I bumped into a lovely English couple who visit our Space2B. Once again I received a warm greeting and we fell into friendly conversation. When we parted the same thing happened. All three of us said in unison, "Its been great to see you!" 
Almost back at my car park at the Church I came across one of my elderly Church members. I knew she had a recent car accident so I was pleased to see her. I have known her for much of my life, and became good friends with her husband before he died in 1994. I caught up on her experiences and the aftermath and we chatted for some time, before we parted company.

As I drove home I reflected on my "Day off" encounters. I am indeed a fortunate man. Such encounters really do enrich my experience of life.  As I talked with my wife over a cup of tea when I got home, she commented that they showed the breadth of my ministry. - A fireman; a mechanic; a cancer patient and her husband; a couple on the outer fringe of our Church community and an elderly Church member. (Only one of the seven people is a "Church Member") They were warm "people-encounters" that bring depth, meaning, solidarity and love into my life. I AM a fortunate man.

No comments: