Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, May 7, 2009

I can't believe it!

I read in the paper this morning something that makes my blood boil. In Brazil a step father had been sexually abusing a girl since she was 6 yrs old. At the age of 9 the girl fell pregnant as a result of his rape. The doctors said that if the baby went full term both girl and baby will die. An abortion was arranged for the girl. The catholic church excommunicated the mother for allowing her daughter to have an abortion! The same canon law said that the mother's "sin" or "crime" was worse than the step father's. He was not excommunicated! Grrrr!

I have some great catholic friends. I am impressed because often I find that people I work with in the community are catholic folk who have a real passion for justice, compassion and community service. BUT I find this sort of establishment focused, judgemental rigidity so foreign to the way of Jesus! I am not one who would advocate abortion be taken lightly and I do recognise that a choice for abortion should be considered a very serious step..... but really??......I just cannot understand how people in this day and age can come up with such crap! I would happily be excommunicated from a church like that! I cannot see Jesus condemning such an action! I am not even sure Jesus would advocate any sort of excommunication anyway! ...but I love my catholic friends.

No comments: