Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Plums, a sign of "Grace".


Last night I picked plums. I have a red welt right across my left eyeball from where a branch of a plum tree sprung and hit me in the eye. (Some say it was only a twig but it felt like a branch!)

As I was picking plums until it got so dark I could hardly see them, I thought how amazing they are! We have these three trees. Two of them just grew up accidentally from some plum thrown in the shrubbery. We don't do anything to them or for them. Yet in a good year they produce so many plums the wood pigeons, the black birds and the Browns can have heaps, and more to spare! I think Jean said we picked 21 Kg yesterday ... and, as you can see, there's heaps left! Plum jam, plum sauce and stewed plums for desserts. (Stewed plums and ice cream is the food I expect to receive in heaven.... just a little tang and colour that sets off the ice cream nicely.)

I digress... as I was picking I thought these plums are an illustration of "Grace"... free unmerited favour. We do nothing, no cultivating, no pruning, no watering, etc etc. ... all we have to do is pick, prepare and eat! That is sheer "grace". And when you think about it much of life is like that. So much that I enjoy I did not earn. ... the freedoms I enjoy, the opportunities for education, recreation and growth, the NZ climate and environment, friendships, ... and I could go on. So much of life is "Grace". I should be more grateful than I am.

No comments: