Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Work that refreshes.





I have Mondays off. It is generally my only day of the week completely free of "work", though often my job still intrudes. Today I worked hard.

I have hedges at the front of my property and a long high hedge down the side. I cut these before lunch. I enjoy the resulting much tidier look to the section, but I hate the job. I get hedge bits in my eyes, in my shoes and sticking to my body. It is annoying to be amongst the hedge, climbing up and down a saw stool to reach the top. 

After lunch I tackled a court yard area that we have. It was overgrown with weeds and a real mess. So I set to and scraped the weeds and plants that were encroaching and cleaned the whole are up. It is a nice area to sit on a warm sunny day. 

After finishing these jobs I changed clothing and jumped on my bike and rode the around 24 k round trip into the city and back home again. It was time to think, evaluate and plan for the week ahead. A barbecue tea finished the day off eating salad from veges in our garden and yogurt, ice cream, bananas and our home grown strawberries. I have an excessively busy and stressful week ahead. Today I worked hard physically, but feel strangely refreshed. The hard work took my mind completely off the work I have to do for a job, though I could in a relaxed way chew the cud on various thoughts and insights. In a weird way I am refreshed and ready for the week ahead.

Photos: 

  • Two seats in the court yard area. 
  • Another angle on the area... with a seldom used swing seat in view.
  • The high hedge that runs down the edge of our property from my neighbour's overgrown paddock side.
  • Our front hedge, cut but still with the clippings to clear.

No comments: