Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Competitive old fool.


I walked up to Swampy Summit and back over Flagstaff again today. Last Sunday afternoon I took just under three hours to do it, but must have used muscles I seldom use because nearly all week parts of me hurt. I did a bike ride yesterday for my Saturday exercise. Today as I headed out on my hike I put my tramping boots on for more comfort, and assured my wife I would take it easy and just amble. "No fast walking for me, just a cruise!" There is something about hills! There is something about junctions in tracks! I am always thinking ahead, looking at my watch and saying to myself, "I reckon I can reach the top, ... or the corner... or the junction by...." I think if I am going to just amble I need to leave my watch at home! I ended up doing the walk 8 minutes faster than last week! I am such a competitive old fool, I compete against myself. Why can't I relax and just enjoy a stroll? Still I think I am getting fitter.

I found this little rock with little pink flowers on the top of Swampy Summit. They grow there in that windswept, cold and isolated spot. I guess we could call it "God's landscaping".

No comments: