Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update...

I am just home from an exhausting day, and I thought I would give any regular readers some notes by way of an update on things I have mentioned before.

My friend's bike

Last year I put a post in mentioning that "there are bastards in the world". The reason I was so angry was that I had a friend in Adelaide who died and shortly after his death an antique motorbike that he had restored was stolen. It is a 1912 Triumph. This bike is really an heirloom and a very special tribute to my friend. It is not just a vintage bike, but a memorial to him and his passion for life. Well I have to report that the bike has been found and is back in the hands of its rightful owners.

His widow is a gutsy lady and would not take the loss lying down. She kept advertising for any information and just when she thought she had wasted money, someone responded and told her where it was to be found. It had been thrown down a drain and is the worse for wear from lying there for about 6 months. It must have been too hot for the thief to handle! I am so pleased for her and the family. I guess in the light of all the world's disasters it is not a massive thing, but it was hard and unfair for her and her family....and his friends because I felt linked to that bike as well. It is back and will be lovingly restored to the pristine condition he had it in.

Space2b & Church

I have from time to time talked about Space2B at our church. We have opened the Church up for people to drop by at lunch times. We started this venture nearly a year ago.  As part of Space2B we have on Wednesdays "Settlementresource@Space2B" where we have resources for new settlers to NZ. The whole concept is growing. We have a bi weekly conversation group in the evenings where issues are talked about. ... last week it was the Charter for Compassion and an earth centred spirituality. There are regular people who call in for a chat and support. Today we had the local City Council settlement person run a new immigrant tour from Space2B. New settlers came and various representatives from agencies addressed them and told them about their services. After that they went on a tour of the city. My dream of the church being a place open to the community, resourcing the community and spreading acceptance in the community is happening. As I watched people sharing today I could not help but think.... "It is happening. A new style of Church with a new and relevant mission is being born."

Tonight we had a "fellowship dinner" at the church. I went along a bit grudgingly. But I looked around the room and I counted quite a number of people who were "new faces", who had found our church an OK place to hang around. They bring a more relaxed approach to church life without some of the baggage of generations before them. It IS changing... slowly... but changing.

Allied Press Chaplaincy

I have mentioned my difficulties and insecurities at starting a new chaplaincy. Well I went there today and I am discovering with each visit a easier "feel" to the place and more and more people I connect with. I am thankful that there are folks who are letting me into their lives, talking about their interests, their jobs and their lives. They welcome me when I turn up. It IS getting easier.

I go to bed tonight, tired, feeling somewhat drained, but with a feeling that I am on the right path after all. Just an update for any who are regular readers of these musings.

No comments: