Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Friday feelings

Tired but pleased...
It is Friday afternoon and I have just taken a funeral and am getting changed to help out at our Drop-in centre. I am so pleased that the funeral (memorial service) went well. I put a lot of work into each one. I would imagine at least 8 hours, perhaps more. (My wife says at least 12 hours) The family were very pleased with it and it felt like I was doing something important for them. I am exhausted though with the beginnings of a migraine headache starting. I do seem to have an ability to help people remember the essence of the person. Looking back on when I first started at this church this man was not much older than what I am now! Time will pass quickly and I'll be ashes in a little box ready to be spread on Mount Cargill.

Technology...
I have been sitting here Skyping (messages) with a friend who drove to the city of Christchurch. While I have been doing that the Church computer has been updating and installing updates. It asked for a password at one stage. My daughter knows the password but she is in Frankfurt airport on the other side of the world. I pick up my old cell phone and text her. Within a few seconds the answer comes back with the password and the fact that they are about to hop on a train. Call me old, but I love this modern technology and still find it a marvellous part of life! Chatting via Skype free to a friend sitting in a Christchurch hotel through a little machine on my desk! That is pretty good.... but texting through an even smaller machine to the other side of the world and receiving instant replies.... Wow! I still marvel. A man told me yesterday that when his daughter was on her big OE in Africa 30 years ago they did not hear from her for 3 months!

Drop-in centre here I come...
Headache, headache go away ... people will tell me I have pool to play... People will meet me with a lot to say... I can't tell them to go away! Drop-in people, please be nice to me tonight. I am tired.

No comments: