Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happy talking....

I went to a lecture last night. It was entitled "Public Theology? No thanks I'll stick with the normal kind." I was disappointed. I was hoping to be stimulated by new thinking or different ideas. The lecturer when he was opening the lecture said he was going to do some controversial stirring. I waited for it but never sensed it. It was not different or new thinking for me. He was in an awkward setting to lecture and did not seem to connect with the audience. So I was disappointed.

I mentioned it to my daughter who agreed with me about it, but then went on to say, "You have to realise that not everybody is where you are at. Unfortunately that may have been new thinking for many people there".

He mentioned the "Liberation Theology concept that God has a preference for the poor". That according to the prophets of the Old Testament the measure of any society is how it treats its most vulnerable members. That was one point where there were nods of approval from the audience. (May be they were asleep?)

Let me let off steam a little bit. Down through the years I have been involved in different groups studying the Church's social responsibility. Liberal thinking people have reiterated the prophets' call for justice, a fair deal for the poor and looking after the needy. I have heard liberal after liberal waxing eloquently about the Church needing to be involved in society, about Christian responsibility toward the vulnerable etc. etc. Now I may be being very judgemental, but it seems to me that we in the Churches love to talk. We will hold discussion groups, retreats, and seminars on such subjects. We may even preach sermons on it. But I really see little action.

Take last night. I looked around and knew many of the people. There was a fair representation from the leadership of main line, establishment churches in our city. I recognised people there also who I had seen attending ecumenical services in our city, and while I did not know their names, knew that they were church members of various mainline city churches. My concern is that they will go to such a meeting as last night and nod approvingly. They will wax eloquently about social responsibility and such things. But... when we want to build houses for low income people in the city (as in Habitat for Humanity) where are these lovely church people? I have over the years as a promoter for Habitat for Humanity tried to encourage Church involvement at various levels. I suggested Church ladies providing morning teas or helping with lunches. I have encouraged people of both genders to be involved in building. I suggested once a ministers' building day as a fun time of fellowship for the city ministers. (The ministers agreed, but one minister apart from me turned up) I have been deeply disappointed by the response from the established churches. It is great to talk about such things, but involvement is another matter. In 2003 a group of us involved with needy people recognised a need for emergency housing in the city. We called a public meeting. Where were the good Church people? (I have to admit a very good group of catholics have been involved.) We need Trust Board members for the Night shelter Trust Board. We need volunteer supervisors. But where are these liberal minded Christians? They are few and far between. I think we often think that because we have talked about such issues we have done something about them. There must be talk and discussion and "consciousness raising", but it must be followed by or even preceded by action. Now I have to admit that many denominations have "Social Service agencies" run by professional social workers etc. But few actual congregations or congregants seriously engage with the vulnerable and poor in their communities.

How can Christianity gain a hearing?
One of the questions the lecturer raised last night about "Public Theology" is if we agree Christianity has something to offer in the public domain, if Christianity is to contribute to public debate on current issues, "How can it get a hearing in a secular world?" He went on to talk about the nature of the dialogue and the language we use in such a dialogue. Let me say that what is needed is for the Churches to gain credibility in these areas, then its voice may be listened to. When Churches are seen to be compassionately involved in community needs then "the public" will sit up and listen to what they have to say. They have earned their credibility. I don't think the issue is one of just the language used to communicate.

Two more quotes from my graffiti board poster... (They relate to the topic of this post)

"Preach the gospel in season and out of season,
at any opportunity that you are able....
... if necessary use words." ..... Francis of Assissi

"If you preach the gospel in all aspects
with the exception of the issues
which deal specifically with your time
you are not preaching the gospel at all." ...... Martin Luther

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Is there room for a quote from Carlyle?

"If you do not wish a man to do a thing, you had better get him to talk about it; for the more men talk, the more likely they are to do nothing else."

- Thomas Carlyle