Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reflections from my stool...

My sore back makes me sit on a high stool while typing this. It is getting better... it is getting better.... I hope. I am off to see a physiotherapist tomorrow.
Lust is popular....
I have linked this blog to "MyBlogLog" which gives me an idea of what people read on my blog site. It is interesting that the post that discusses "lust" is the most read of all the posts I have put on. People must google "lust" so often and one of the options is my post. I really am not sure that "God" gets as hung up about our "perving", fantasy life and bodily functions as we think he does. Using and abusing people is another thing.
Another of the older generation gone...
There was quite a group of teenagers who attended Church of Christ Youth groups in Dunedin when I was a teenager. The movers and shakers in the Churches were our parents. We looked up to them and recognised their commitment. When I was an apprentice plumber I would never have guessed that I would be taking many of their funerals. I had a phone call from a lady in Christchurch. She was part of the youth group at the church I am at now when I was a teenager. We all went to camps and various youth events together. Her Dad was a deacon in the church here. He and his wife were in the church here when I started ministry. His wife died and a few years later he left to live in Christchurch near his children. Well today he died and I have been asked to lead a memorial service on Friday for him. He was in his nineties. For me it is another reminder of the passing of time. The older generation is nearly all gone. It is the way of life. The scary bit is that I am now even more definitely the "older generation". To be quite crude, I am part of the next group of people who will "fall off the perch". My mind is already in gear thinking of how I will word a tribute to Noel, and how we will remember his life. What will some poor celebrant find to say about my life when my turn comes?

No comments: