Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, September 10, 2010

The "back at work" week so far.

Wow, what a week it seems to have been, so far. I was taking a rough estimate of my hours and I reckon in four days (Tuesday - Friday) I have worked 47 hours at least. There has been all sorts of ups and downs during the week. I nearly lost my cool at a meeting. I have reacquainted myself with my chaplaincy people. I have visited and been visited. Tonight I was part of our drop-in and spent the night in intensive talking. "Why did you become a minister?" I listen to a lady who told me she was raped at 14. She has had her children taken off her. She continues to have problems with relationships and with violence. "I believe in God" she told me, "but when I pray he isn't listening. I feel like a prisoner locked inside and can't get out... how can God help?" Another man asked about why I was a minister, then said, "I thought you were in it for the money?" He was serious!

I have struggled with a cold all week, and lack of sleep. It seems like people have been saying, "Oh welcome back! It's good to see you. Did you have a good trip. ... now we have been waiting for your return... can you....?" and lumbered me with more responsibilities.

I have felt privileged though. People have genuinely been pleased to see me and have shared themselves with me. At times I have felt that my presence is important to the folk I have been talking with and that I have something to offer them in their life. I have felt the pressure of trying to find time for everything, but at the same time felt the privilege of being "with" people. The ministry I have, my community involvements and my view of "the church" make my life intensely diverse and interesting. Tonight I feel exhausted, I wonder how I am going to get everything done in the next one and a half days, but I feel like I am mostly doing worthwhile stuff.

No comments: