Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"I know! Let's research it!"

Today I was at a meeting to explore the possibility of offering a place to meet for a couple of hours a day to vulnerable people wandering the street. I know from our drop-in centre contacts that a whole lot of people would be better off with a day time place to go. "Fred" has a gambling and drinking problem, is going downhill. If he had a place to go to for the middle of the day he could be encouraged not to drink and gamble so much. He would have something to do, some good food and less temptation. "Jack" wanders the streets getting half empty bottles of booze and thrown out food out of rubbish tins. It would be so good if there was a place he could call in to, especially on a cold day. "Dave" goes to a work program two days a week, but is tempted to go to the pokey machines on other days when he is bored. It would be easier if he had others to mix with. "Bill" and "Wayne" with Bill's wife "Jill" are just bored. No employment so not much money in the family, no sense of "purpose" and in their boredom tend to spend money on rubbish stuff. Another couple have greater struggles, he's trying to stay out of trouble and away from drugs so that they can keep looking after her children. Some place they can go to, where he can talk about it and have others to mix with would be so good. ... I could go on listing off potential users of such a service. May be we cannot work miracles in their life, but we would offer friendship, some reasonable food, company and help bring more stability about their life.

At the meeting there were a couple of professional social worker types, who use the latest lingo and use initials every second sentence. They may know the theory, jargon and programs, but I suspect do not mix much with my friends, Fred, Jack, Dave, Bill, Wayne, Jill, Trev, Janet and others. They said, "Do we know the need?" "Do we know the numbers?" "Do we know the sorts of things they need?" ... "They need regular contact with some sort of 'normal' friend who will support them." I commented..... "But what about quality and quantity?" ... etc. etc. .... "I know, lets spend up to $10,000 on someone who will research the need and numbers." .... That's what they decided to do!

I could do nothing. The church has a facility but I don't think I have a mandate to offer it. I thought I had an agency willing to run it, in fact I am sure I have. I don't have the time nor the freedom to do anything much myself. ... but today I just wanted to win lotto and be able to say, "Cut the crap, reach out to support these people NOW!" I could do so much more with $10000 than "research"... bugger! I could just talk to the people I know and find out the numbers. I have at least fifteen years experience (much longer in reality, everywhere I have been I have been involved with poorer folks. ) with these people. I have some social work/community work training. ... I just got the feeling these people, with all their jargon and theory, thought I was an ignorant, though well intentioned parson. ....... I could be wrong! I know! I'll research it some more. Bloody Hell! .... sorry... "Hemorrhaging Hades". ... "Keep walking the streets guys! We're thinking about it."

No comments: