Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Where Jesus was.

"One day when many tax collectors and other outcasts came to listen to Jesus, the Pharisees and teachers of the Law started grumbling. 'this man welcomes outcasts and even eats with them!' So Jesus told them this parable".... (Luke 15:1-3)

This is the beginning of this coming Sunday's reading. Of course the stories that Jesus goes on to tell are the story of the "The lost Sheep", "The lost coin" and the "Lost Son" or what is often known as the prodigal son. It is always a challenge to me to be as open and as welcoming as Jesus was.
I have to lead a service on this theme. The stories are lovely and delightful but they are Jesus' way of justifying who he is mixing with. I find that I love the stories, but actually practicing the openness and lifestyle he is talking about in my living, is not as easy as listening to the beautiful stories. It's comfort zone stuff, we are stretched and it can be unpredictable. Oh well. I'll have to wait and see what "emerges" by Sunday.

No comments: