Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, June 6, 2011

Earthquake fallout.



Monday respite.
Monday is my day off, so I have been mucking around doing little bits of various things. I have been attempting to tidy my home study. Some things have been cleaned out. I just found a map book I thought I had lost! We have also been throwing out old books. This is quite hard because some of them were a good read, but if I was to be honest I won't be reading them again in my life time. My wife had a pile of throw outs, but as I looked through them some were saved from going to the famous 24hour Regent book sale. My poor kids after I die! I also went for a bike ride. There was a speedy tail wind as I rode down the harbour toward Dunedin, but that translated to a cold and tough head wind home. It was a good buzz, it is like the more difficult it is the more satisfying it is when you complete the exercise. My week ahead has things I have to attend every night from Tuesday until Friday, with Thursday night double booked. We have also been invited to attend a function on Saturday night, but we might give that a miss. It will be another busy week.
The Earthquake continues to impact.
We who are not living in Christchurch tend to think the earthquake there in February is old news now. But I have had recent reminders that for many people it is still impacting their lives in a big way.
* Fear and bad dreams... I was talking to a bright young lady on Sunday who was in the midst of the earthquake when it happened. She was working in a cafe in the CBD when it struck and she had to escape from her building. She bravely assisted others before riding home on her bike. She came back home to Dunedin, but has to return to Christchurch next month. She told me that even now about once a week she will wake up to bad earthquake dreams. She says that when she is in the street or in particularly an old building she is still a bit apprehensive and is always checking out escape routes or safe places to stand. With earthquakes still happening in Christchurch she is not looking forward to going back.
* Loss of home and income. ... I have talked to men who are working for their firm in Dunedin after their Christchurch branch was wrecked. The Christchurch one is now not going to be rebuilt and the men have been invited to permanently move south. It means uprooting their family. It means selling their Christchurch home, which in some cases is now not worth what they still owe on it. It is a very difficult decision for them and the families.
* Still coping with injuries... Through one of my chaplaincies I was put in touch with a young lady who was pulled out of wreckage with a severely damaged leg. She was in hospital undergoing surgery. Recognising an old male would not be much help to her I sent my wife to visit. They have kept in touch. She is still receiving treatment and skin grafts and life is still severely disrupted because of the quake. My wife receives frequent communication from her wanting support.

These are just three incidents within my circle here in Dunedin. The impacts of those terrible few seconds continue to disrupt "normal" living for a lot of people. Reach out to them in solidarity. Don't forget them.

Photo: The exposed hallway in the house next to my son's house in Christchurch. The house is condemned. A dangerous brick wall has been pulled down, but there are still household items inside??? The house will come down in time.

3 comments:

Anthony said...

I saw this great cartoon and it immediately reminded me of you.

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp288/dadwhowalks/Misc/image001.jpg

Do I mean the Dalai Lama? No, the other guy.

I read in the news that the Dalai Lama arrived in town in his spotless robes, issuing vapid statements, and being feted by all...

You are the guy down the manhole, knee deep in mucky water (figuratively speaking)...

Anthony said...

I don't know if that entire link is appearing...

Here it is in two parts for pasting to the browser...

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/

pp288/dadwhowalks/Misc/image001.jpg

Dave Brown said...

:-) I love it! Sorry to hear about your friend earlier in the month.