Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, January 10, 2013

A talk worth hearing...


Sorry to post again, "blogging diarrhea" it is called. But I just listened to one of the best talks I have heard. It so rang bells with me and put together lots of hunches I have.  In my view it goes to the heart of many of the issues we as humans struggle with. It has to do with individual, personal growth but also strikes at the heart of many of the big issues we in western society struggle with. It was what I was struggling to express when I talked about "just being" in an earlier post.  I guess it is all about what Jesus was pointing toward when he said, "If you lose your life you find it." It is a TED talk and here is the blurb about it...
Brene Brown studies human connection -- our ability to empathise, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity. A talk to share.

You can find it here.  It is worth stewing on.

I like what she says about "numbing vulnerability", about "certainty in religion and politics" etc. I see loads of people having "beer and muffins" in various forms. She is so right! Addicts, alcoholics, "know-alls", loud church leaders, politicians, fundamentalists, aggressive liberals, people who "always look on the bright side", dictatorial bosses, fashion plates and often me all struggle with this issue. We lose and weaken our experience of life by numbing vulnerability.

No comments: