Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First day back...

I am not a photographer but I managed to snap this little chap yesterday.  I love these Fantails.
I have just arrived home from my first day back at work after my recovery from a TURP operation. It has been so far a nine hour day and I must admit to being weary. I have spent over three hours in chaplaincy work, one and a half hours in a meeting of ministers and the rest of the time in preparation for  next Sunday's church service, sorting out emails and tidying up my office at the Church. I have been reminded that listening to people is very tiring. 
I did enjoy the three weeks off and did some things there that I must build into my life. 

  • On most days I managed a walk. I was not allowed to do strenuous exercise but I did walk at a reasonable pace for nearly an hour and sometimes longer. I found even in that short time, just walking I was getting fitter, and it gave me time to think. I need to build this or other exercise into my life nearly every day.
  • I did a lot of reading. I read some good books on spirituality and theology. It was refreshing.  I do quite a bit of reading in preparation for each Sundays service. Also I have always tried to keep up with reading new directions and thought. Most often though my reading has been last thing at night while having my cup of "Horlicks" in bed. I think I need to re-affirm to myself that such reading is a part of my job and claim time during work hours to do reading. 
So I have gone back to work with these two aims. To exercise more regularly, even if it is just to walk regularly. Secondly to build more reading time into my life. I'll let you know how I get on.
Fantail...
This little Fantail came around our backdoor yesterday.  He seemed to follow me down to the clothes line. I came inside and got my camera and he was still around. I love these birds. Walking in the bush they will sometimes seem to go along side of you flying from tree to tree, waiting for you to catch up then flying to the next, chirping all the time. 


2 comments:

Bricky said...

I read somewhere that fantails give the impression of friendliness by following people, but in fact they are feeding on midges and other insects which are the real people-followers. I've no idea whether or not this is correct, so I'm sorry if I've shattered your warm and fuzzy perception, Dave!

Dave Brown said...

You cynical man you! I'm such a nice guy they follow me. I am shattered! :-( Actually I had heard that.. the walker disturbs the midges etc. and the fantails are just greedy opportunists. I like my theory best, I even talk to them and they talk back. It could be that they're just telling their mates there's free tucker going around this crazy human.