Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rewards?

I was interviewed by some social work students the other day. One of the questions they asked was "What are the rewards in what you do?" I gave them some sort of answer about a guy who changed and other stuff. Since then I have experienced rewards.
Terry
That evening while driving home I saw at a bus stop a man who is a struggling alcoholic/gambling addict/hoarder for all the 20+ years I have known him. Currently he is living with an old woman friend, both have rough health and I think they assist one another through life. I had heard he recently suffered a stroke. He is 10 years older than I am, I have assisted him at different times over the years and he has been a regular at our drop-in centre. We had not had contact for the last few months because I guess, his life has been reasonably settled. When I saw him at the bus stop I decided to seize the opportunity for a catch up and offer him a lift. It was so good.  He greeted me warmly and as I drove he talked about our history together and told me about his stroke experience. I dropped him off and he said "thank you" and shook my hand with real warmth. I think the "thank you" encompassed much more than the ride.
Jamie
The next day I was walking to visit the brewery as their chaplain. On a street corner I came across Jamie. He is one of Dunedin's characters, has mental health problems and is known as "Speedy" for his habit of walking fast through town listening to his radio. He was standing near a planter with coffee in one hand and radio in the other. I greeted him with "Hello Jamie". With a big smile he said loudly, "David Brown, my friend!" put his coffee down and extended his hand warmly to me. He kept repeating, "David Brown, my friend," as I asked how he was. "I'm OK David Brown. You're a good man." I said bye and went on my way.
Darren
About a half a block up the road I pass a day centre where a number of "our" drop-in people attend. Another man was coming out and heading for home. He is a nice guy, but struggles with hearing voices and other health issues. We greeted each other warmly and spent quite some time chatting. We eventually parted company with a warm handshake and "Thank you its good to catch up."
Colleen
While I was talking with him another woman came out of the centre and greeted me warmly and I asked how she was. The three of us talked briefly with her offering to take me on a guided tour of the centre, but I really had to get to the brewery. She was obviously pleased to see me.

What are the rewards of what I do in the community? Others may like to have the adulation of people of status, the movers and shakers in town. To be honest I often find their contact and supposed friendship hollow and somehow insincere. These people, the people "in low places" tell it like it is! It is deeply rewarding to have their respect and appreciation.
A younger photo of my friend Jamie.

No comments: