Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, April 28, 2013

I managed my week...

Quite like this picture from up "my mountain" but photos seldom do justice to the feel of it.

A blaze of autumn colour.
These five ducks have come close to dwellings on the Otago Harbour- Duck shooting season begins soon. 
Packed week....
Tomorrow I am going to have a day off. I did not have a day off last week. I had a lot of things to do, a funeral in the middle of the week, and two of my weekend helpers were away. Even today just before the service while I was completing power points, a man kept coming into the office to ask questions and before I knew it time had got away from me. At one stage I said to myself, "I'll never make it!" But I did! After we had lunch today I lay down on my bed, promising myself to go for a walk in half an hour. An hour and a half later I woke up! I was tired. I did however fit in a walk. 
Nice surprise...
My wife and I went to our late friend Norrie's favourite cafe for morning tea on Saturday. He had gone there just before he walked out and got hit by a car. The police's spray paint markings were on the road and somebody had taped a bunch of flowers to the nearby lamppost. We went in and while standing by the counter a man I did not know came up, and after giving a bit of cheek, introduced himself and shook my hand warmly saying, "Thank you so much for the funeral the other day!" He had got to know Norrie at this cafe and had attended the funeral.  We talked briefly about our friend and then went our separate ways.  It was nice he made the contact.
Friday night friends... 
 I had a conflict of loyalties on Friday evening. I have a commitment to be at the Drop-in centre we run at the Church. With the sometimes unstable people we have it is important that I be there. But three fire fighters were retiring and they were having a farewell night at the fire station beginning at the same time of 6:30 p.m. I was visiting a fire station in the afternoon and they asked if I was going.  I responded that I had the Drop-in centre. "There would be lots of us who would really appreciate it if you were there!" they responded leaving me in no doubt about where they thought my loyalties lay. I went to the drop-in centre and played pool there. (I was doing some fine shots, I was hot!) At 8 p.m. when I thought it was safe to leave I went down to the fire station. I knew that they would be having a few beers and wondered how I would be received. I need not have worried. I walked in and people were indeed pleased to see me and welcomed me like old friends. They asked about my health. I  got to catch up on a number of ex-firefighters and we talked about life. A daughter of one of the retirees came over to me and talked warmly.  I had shared in her wedding about a year ago. I was never short of people to talk with, they kept coming to say hi and to chat. One man bought me a beer. There was a lovely guy serving behind the bar. He and I often talk, he is a "spiritual" man. In his busyness he looked in my direction and I could see him smiling. I waved and he waved back with a broad smile that said, "It's good that you are here!" One of the senior officers walked past patted both my shoulders and said, "Its good to see you Father Ted!" I talked with all three guys retiring. I was really moved by the open friendliness that I discovered. I could not help comparing it to Christian groups. I know that they too care, and there is warmth, but somehow there is a stiffness about Church groups.  In some way our religion stifles that genuine warm hearted openness.   It may be that I am their minister and that stifles them? Anyway I enjoyed an hour and a half of mixing with my fire fighter mates before going back to the Drop-in just as it was closing. 
The week ahead...
I have another busy week in front of me. There is a lot to catch up on around the Church, in Night Shelter issues and in chaplaincies. The hospital have asked me to come in again and spend Thursday there. They are going to look into my dependence on a catheter again I think, but I wonder why it is so early? Instead of the four weeks they had promised between such visits this is barely two. That will mean that I have a day less in which to do things. I wish I could move beyond this ongoing health issue! As I walked this afternoon I could not help thinking how much I really am looking forward to retirement.  It is funny people are already coming to me and saying, "You could do .....this!" and presenting some plan. It has been suggested by a few guys that I join their choir?  ... yeah but no! It REALLY isn't my thing. Another man was suggesting a project I could do. Others are already saying, "But you will do my funeral won't you?" ... First up I will need space.  I sometimes want to scream, "Leave me alone!" On Sunday next week we have the Annual General Meeting of the Church. It will be my last and that will seem strange but also a relief.  Thirty four Sundays to go. 

No comments: