Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tradesman's tools.


It is many years since I worked as a tradesman, but I have never lost a tradesman's attitude toward his tools. The first thing we learned as an apprentice was to respect your's and others' tools. As a young apprentice we often used the tools of the tradesman we were working with. Often he would allow the use of the tools very reluctantly. "It's time you had your own bloody tools!" was a frequent comment. You knew that if you borrowed a tool and broke it, you replaced it. The tradesman would go "ape" at you if he saw you using a chisel in the wrong way, or snips to hit something with or in some way misusing a tool. When you got your own tools you valued them, treated them with "love" and became very possessive of them. You have your favourite snips, your own favourite hammer and got used to the "feel" of certain tools. When a tradesman breaks a tool, he often does not throw it out, somehow he is too attached to it. He will buy a new one, but it will be some time before that becomes "his" and is truly accepted. I recall on Habitat for Humanity building sites getting really annoyed at volunteers who would borrow tools and not return them.  I was reminded of all this today. I have a favourite little crowbar/claw gadget. I fell in love with this one. It once got lost, and I found it months later. (the photo above) I have used it today doing some demolition work at my son's place on Waiheke Island. It has been so useful. We did not have a big crow bar so I have been using this one, really overstraining it and using it beyond what it is designed for. I was trying to prize off a piece of timber, hitting my bar with the hammer and yanking it mercilessly.  But when I pulled it out one of its claws had broken. The thing is I have been depressed ever since. I was so annoyed. If I had my full tool kit with me I would not have been misusing it! I have a full sized crow bar hanging in my workshop in Dunedin. If I had been more careful it would not have happened! I had mistreated my friend and it had broken. I went to the local hardware store to buy a replacement, but there was not one just exactly the same. The closest to it was a $44 one, but I put it back on the shelf. (It is the only hardware store on the island so they charge whatever they like) I sadly put my broken bar into my tool box tonight, I can still use the other end. But for a tradesman, it is a form of grief to break a favourite tool. I must be still a tradesman at heart. I am so upset! 

No comments: