Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Is it fair to the dead?

We have had the proceedings of prominent court trials plastered over the media virtually all year. The evidence recorded is often horrible to hear, and has reflected a whole lot of dysfunctional living. What are private mistakes that all of us make are plastered over the media, often out of context and often highlighted. What also troubles me is that it seems unfair on the dead. Witnesses claim that the various deceased people said and did certain things in private one on one encounters. But would the same encounter be told in the same way by the deceased person?

I have had an email encounter with a person I disagreed with. He read an email of mine and took out of it some things that I never meant at all. We were in the same conversation, but if we were in a court of law our honest reports about that conversation would be quite different! That would be true even if we were attempting to give an honest, unbiased objective perspective. We all tend to bend the truth to our ends, so if there were different motives in our testimony, I imagine there could be quite a distortion of the truth. I sometimes feel that some evidence given is unfair. There is no one there to corroborate it! There is no one there to give another perspective on the context of the encounter. Also the deceased has no way of clarifying what they meant to do or say through the actions or words! Yet these encounters are published widely! Characters are assassinated without any possibility of a different understanding being given. I often find myself thinking, "Who defends the dead?" They often seem to be on trial in the trial of another person, but they do not have a chance to defend their name. They are forever given the character that has been painted. I find myself wondering if it isn't time there was serious reformation of our justice system. Sometimes it seem to be unjust toward the innocent.

Or maybe the media are the ones being unfair or irresponsible in their reporting of the evidence?

Whatever it is, I feel sad often for the deceased. Somehow the offence against them is multiplied and added to by the very system that is meant to be seeking justice.


No comments: