Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, July 5, 2009

What a funny week of interesting experiences...

This week I have had a diverse lot of experiences....

  • Tuesday a normal Tuesday with about 12 hours of work.
  • Wednesday I began to have a difference of opinion with someone close to me. I managed a run, but still went down into a deep depression. So deep that I just felt like driving and drove to Waikouiti and back home to stew on things on my way home, again after about a 12 hour day.
  • Thursday I had a pleasant morning. I played soccer with a few guys from PACT. They have a weekly game of soccer. Along with a woman from PACT I am hoping to start a Street Footy Club in Dunedin for "excluded" people. I so enjoyed playing with these guys. One down syndrome man gives high fives full of glee when he kicks the ball in the right direction. Another guy I often encounter when he is drunk, was playing. It was so good to see him exercising enthusiastically.  I was a bit stiff afterward... I am pleased I can run so well at 60 but sprinting to get the ball stretches EVERYTHING!
  • In the evening I listened to the CEO of Habitat for Humanity NZ tell us what's happening. Habitat for Humanity has changed since we first started it in Dunedin. What autonomy we had is gone and the conditions of purchase have changed. I can no longer get as proud as I once was about it. It is still a good deal, but I liked it the way it was, it seemed closer to the "Spirit of Jesus". The guy did not present well and I was down, angry and confused about my future in the organisation by the end of his nearly two hour presentation. A 12 hour day.
  • Friday was an OK day. We had our mid winter chaplains' eat out. It was nice catching up on other workplace chaplains and enjoying food and conversation together. In the evening I played about two hours of table tennis at our drop-in centre with two "excluded" guys. It is great seeing their glee as they play their shots and do things they never thought they could. They grin all over when they make a tricky return or play a shot I cant get to. I was exhausted though. A 13 hour day.
  • On Saturday I had been asked to go to the local pistol club. There was a fatal shooting incident there last week and I was to go to offer support. It was a way out of my comfort zone. Not long after I arrived they warned me that they were "not very PC around here" and that if I was "a pacifist or anti-gun lobby person I would find it uncomfortable". I talked to some more directly involved with the incident. I talked to others about their sport... but many were very macho-red-necked-males, and I would find it hard spending a lot of time there. I was worried about going and when it was all over I was totally drained emotionally and could not get into my normal sermon polishing Saturday night duties. 
  • I had to type and print the Church newsletter this week, my normal helpers are away. I had to do all the power points for the service and I had to operate the technology while leading the service. It was still dark when I headed into the office today. So much work to do before church, and an unpolished sermon buzzing around in my head all night long. In spite of the computer not doing what it should, I did a reasonable job of the service. But tonight I am totally drained. During the week I read the book "Mama Tina", about Christina Noble's work with children in Vietnam and Mangolia. I found it an inspiring book and wondered, "If she can do all that, why can't I fulfil my dreams for the church?" I think its easier to start from scratch. As someone has said about church congregations, "It is easier to give birth than to resurrect". Anyway I will, I hope, sleep well tonight.

No comments: