Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, July 6, 2009

The mountain buzz.


I climbed "my mountain" this afternoon. It was late (3:40) when I headed out from Bethunes Gully. The climb just keeps going up and I knew I could not dawdle if I was going to get back to the car before darkness set in. It was great having to have the discipline to keep going even when you are breathing hard and your legs just want to rest awhile. From the car to the top in one hour. From the top to the car in thirty nine minutes. I have done 55 minutes up and 23 minutes down, but that was on a dry track in running gear. I loved being in the bush again! When I finished I was driving away and felt a real buzz from having done it. I nearly decided it was too late and I was too tired. I was so pleased to have done it, it made my day off and lifted my spirits.

Photo: The snow at the top. You could see and hear chunks of ice falling down the big TV/communications tower so I did not go too close to it.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I went up the same way on Sunday (the day before you) and there was a sprinkling of snow right around the top, starting maybe where the turn-off to the Organ Pipes is. I didn't have my camera... The air was clearer than in your picture. Yes -- lifted my spirits too. But it must've cooled off even more by Monday... "Chunks of ice"!

Dave Brown said...

I think the fog freezes at the top of the mast and then bits of ice fall off as the air warms during the day. There used to be warning signs about falling ice. When I first saw them I thought, "Yeah right", but it is true... you can hear the ice bouncing off the frame work. I love the fact that the track and top are never the same. The mountain has different moods to experience.