Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, July 18, 2009

On reflection ... a good weekend.





I had someone in one of my chaplaincies complain about life being boring. I do not appreciate it, but I can never complain about my life being boring. I thought about it this afternoon. I went up Mount Cargill. As I was walking down a man came jogging along with a big grin on his face saying, "Its a great wee adventure up here isn't it?"  I had to agree, but my thoughts went wider than my mountain. On Friday night I played table tennis at our drop-in with a guy, talked with others and washed countless dishes. One man said to me, "I have played you in table tennis, pool and now soccer." It sounded like it was important to him. I was making a difference in his life! Little old me!

On Saturday I had to go to the hardware store, buy stuff, pick up a man and get to the Habitat for Humanity site by 9 a.m. As I drove on the early morning ice covered roads, I grumbled. "I should be still tucked up in bed! This is stupid!" I said. I turned up, worked away and got the water running for the site kitchen and toilet. I helped lead the build for 20 volunteers. I grumbled at times... but on reflection what a privilege to meet the family and their friends? It was a buzz too when I finally finished connecting up the water to the temporary toilet and kitchen. It is always neat to hear the toilet flush, the drains take the waste away and the hot water zip working as it is meant to. I was then able to do some carpentry.

Sunday service was a bit flat. The snow about meant there were few at church. It's hard talking to empty seats. In the afternoon I headed up "my" mountain. How lucky am I? Barely 5 minutes from my driveway I have this wonderful bush with snow, scenery and birdsong! I met a number of people on the mountain and all were really enjoying the experience. As I passed there would be the normal greeting, followed by words like, "Isn't this fabulous!" or "This is so great!" I arrived at the top and leaned against the lee of a big rock while yet another snow storm came through. I just stood there mesmerised by the whirling snow thinking about life, relationships and ministry. I am wondering if it is time to move on from Dunedin, and I got to thinking about all the different lives I have touched or been involved with over the years I have been here. Again... on reflection, what a privilege! I was wrapped up with hat and gloves, but when I stepped out into the wind again, I felt the cold through my swandri and the layers of clothing. But it was simply great to be up there.

I am sooo fortunate. Life is NEVER boring for me. 

Photos: Top... working on the trusses at the Habitat site. (I am NOT asleep!)

Next 3. Scenes from my walk up the Organ Pipe track this afternoon.

No comments: