Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, August 2, 2010

Angels on the train...


We caught the train from Krakow to Prague (or Praha as it is known locally) We first had to catch the two hour train to Katawice. We were nervous. We had been protected by being with Polish hosts. Daughter-in-law Magda could interprete for us in shops. We had gone to the counter at shops with the thing we wanted to buy and the money in hand. The assistant suddenly talks away earnestly in Polish obviously asking a question, we turn desperately and call for “Magda!” From Krakow on we were on our own, we had to fend for ourselves.


Frequent user discount wanted!

My prostate problems are adding to the expense of this trip. You have to pay to go to the loo in many public places and at railway stations. (There were lines of people at the free toilets in the mall next to Krakow railway station.) In some places it is one amount for “number 1” and more expensive for “number 2”. It is quite mind boggling. I dashed down to the loo in Katawice with my money prepared. I handed it to the woman, and she responded with a whole paragraph of Polish, seemingly not wanting to let me in! Now when things are getting “urgent” that’s the last thing you want! I desperately pointed to myself and said, “Me! - English!” She gave me a “You-are-pathetic” look, returned me the change for my money and continued cleaning the floor while I relieved myself. I think that old men should get frequent flyer discounts!


Irish Angels

We arrived at Krakow station an hour before departure. It is difficult sitting there when “helpful” announcements come over the speaker system and you don’t have a clue what they are saying. We successfully boarded the right train and stowed our luggage in the racks provided. Some young men sat in the seats across the isle and behind us. We heard them talking and at first thought they were Polish. Then I caught a word... they had broad Irish accents, but it was english they were speaking. An announcement came over the sound system and all of us acted bemused, not knowing what it said. We laughed together at our predicament and commented that it was nice to hear english spoken. We chatted with them briefly, but it was comforting to know that there were others in the same boat. As we were getting close to Krakow one of these Irish guys seeing our grey hair, asked if he could help us with our luggage. I was too proud to allow him to help me down with the cases, but when the train stopped he did help Jean with the case she was carrying. I was guarding our luggage while Jean explored the shops and loos, and another of the Irish lads offered to buy food for me.


A Little Angel

From Katawice to Prague is about a six hour trip. There was another woman in our compartment but we never spoke - I think she was Czech. About two and a half hours from our destination another woman and her little daughter entered. She asked in Czech if she could put her bag on top of ours. The other lady responded but we looked ignorant because we did not understand a word. We simply shrugged and said, “English”. So she asked the same question (I assume) in pretty good English. Of course we let her, but her little daughter was intrigued with our English. She learned English at school. So, as much as we could we conversed. We shared our biscuits with them, and later they shared theirs with us. We got into guess-what-I-am-drawing games. The little girl loved to say, “Yes!” and giggle. She enjoyed learning the English names to animals we were drawing and sharing with us the Czech names. I got out my computer and showed them some pictures. (She enjoyed a picture I had of a rabbit) The time flew by and it was good company. The little girl left us with a drawing of an elephant which will be a prized souvenir. At Prague we said our “Goodbyes” with the little girl giggling that she could use yet another English word.


Irish and Czech angels were delightful people who made our journey enjoyable.


Photo: An old part of Prague railway station.

1 comment:

Jane Nicholls said...

Everyone enjoys pictures of Jessica :)