Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pops






We are spending two nights in Glasgow. Our first impressions were that Glasgow seemed a dirty run down sort of city. It is past it’s “prime” in some ways. It once boasted 50 shipyards... now it has three. It was once the second city in the UK, with well over a million people. Now it has 600,000. We went on a bus tour this morning and got to appreciate more of the city.


We had wanted to stay in Edinburgh, but it has the Tattoo running and a fringe festival. When we tried for Hostels we could not find one in the city area that could house us. We decided today to hop on a train about midday and go to Edinburgh. We spent about 6.5 hours there, had a bus tour and did our own exploration. We were home at 9 p.m. but were pleased we took the trouble to visit. Edinburgh is a much more interesting city than Glasgow.


In both places we felt at home. Listen to these names..... Dundas Street, (Actually we learned that “Dundas” was a crooked rich guy) Hanover Street, George St, St Andrew St., Buccleugh St., Fredrick Street, Princes Street, High Street,.... etc. They pinched them from Dunedin.... NOT. :-)


Glasgow will be remembered by me as the place I received an insult! Rather than doing our usual walk to our hostel when we arrived in Glasgow, we took a taxi. I was thrilled because they were “London Cabs” and I wanted to ride in one of these some time in our holiday. A rather over weight, balding 40 - 45 year old driver got out. Jean was asking the questions while I loaded our luggage. In a cab the luggage goes in where you sit. He came around to me and asked, “Are you OK with that Pops?” .... I won’t tell you what I called him under my breathe! Here he was younger than me, I could certainly out run him. I could most probably out lift or out work him. And he calls me “Pops”! Grrr. (I have learned that if the stairs are wide enough I can put all of our four bags somewhere on my person and carry them up. I’d like to see him do that! “Pops” indeed! ... the cheeky @*#%8! )


Photos:


  • The sign that greeted us when we got off the train in Glasgow. It was the Queen Street Station. The language underneath I think is an early scots Gaelic. It is funny, the locals speak English, but you have to listen hard and go over the sounds in your mind to work out the words. (We probably sound similar to them.) An announcement over the speakers spoke about "gates". ... It sounded like "Geets".
  • Edinburgh Castle. We came upon it by accident. We walked up High Street through crowds of people enjoying fringe festival stuff and found we were at the Castle Gates. We kept walking into the Castle area, enjoying the scenery and buildings, until we came to a person clicking admission tickets. We had enjoyed enough by then so spun around and went out. (After using their free loos) The blue seats are for the Tattoo. We went a way past there.
  • An ancient tower in the Merchant City area of Glasgow. Just across the square was where you went at a certain time if you wanted to know the latest news. Someone would yell it out from a balcony.
  • A London Taxi. This one in Edinburgh. They are made (handmade apparently) to very clear specifications in Coventry. I think they are great wee vehicles, I would love one.
  • As we looked for a way out of the Glasgow station this sign greeted us. We felt at home, Dunedin has a "Dundas Street".

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Great cars -- yes, I like the black cabs too. I like the whole experience as well: as a passenger you can sit in a perfectly clean vehicle and relax, confident the driver knows his business, and you will get to where you are going without fuss or detour.

Anthony