Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Saturday, August 14, 2010

A lovely host.




Windsor Castle visited...
Isaac is the brother of a lovely Indian lady in our Church congregation. I have never met him before but she made contact with him when she knew we were going to London. He lined up the hostel we are staying in. It is the Indian YMCA hostel. It has everything we need. We are enjoying Indian meals. Isaac has been a great host to us today. He lined up tube tickets, train tickets and tickets to Windsor Castle and took us out there today. It was special. It has so much history attached to it that made me wish I had paid more attention in history classes at school. Isaac has been simply wonderful and we just hope he enjoyed his day. We look to spend more time with him tomorrow. We have found the local people friendly so far. I have an acquaintance who warned me UK people were "an arrogant bunch". That has not been my experience today. Staff at the castle for instance chatted freely as we waited in a queue, or informally made suggestions and generally were human and warm. Likewise people on the trains, in the local pub and in the street have been friendly. I'm going to enjoy England I think.

At the local church we picked up this prayer which I thought wasn't bad.

God, our Heavenly Father, make, we pray,

the door of this church

wide enough to welcome all who need human love

and fellowship and a Father’s care;

but narrow enough to shut out all envy, pride and lack of love.

Here may the tempted find help,

the sorrowing receive comfort,

and the penitent be assured of your mercy;

and here may all your children renew their strength

and go on their way in hope and joy,

through Jesus Christ our Lord.


(Thomas Ken, Bishop of Bath & Wells 1684 - 1711)


Photos:

  • The Hostel we are staying in.
  • Our new friend Isaac. He's a social worker here in London.
  • Part of the castle and local village. It rained quite hard when we came out.
  • The soldiers guarding the castle.


No comments: