Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Last Day in London





We had our last day in London today. Sitting in our room in the London Indian YMCA I can hear the noise of London outside. It is like the noise of a bee hive, a combination of all the city's sounds into a constant busy buzz.
Of all the cities we have visited I have enjoyed this one the most. Perhaps because there was no language barrier? Each city has its strengths and certainly Paris has amazing stuff. London has great stuff too, and it just seems to say, "Here it is, what you see is what you get."

I like the people spaces in London. Some examples;
- The space around the Tower of London. The families, exploring history together, ... mum and son walking around the sun dial. The kids and crowd cheering on the knights fighting in front of the Tower.
- Soho square has outside table tennis tables. I watched a grandfather and granddaughter playing.
- Covent Garden has space for buskers, tight rope walkers, magicians and other entertainers. Great crowd participation.
- Kensington Gardens near Royal Albert Hall ... People relaxing there before the Proms.

I have enjoyed the people;
- The people have been friendly, helpful and relaxed.
- There is a sense of humour... the train is packed, no personal space and people laugh at one another's predicament.
- You make a fool of yourself at the tube station by asking a stupid question and its OK.
- I have enjoyed the fact that I didn't have people at the various sites trying to push miniature models of the Tower at me or trying to pressure money out of me. Again there is this more laid back approach.

I have enjoyed learning about the history.
- NZ inherited so much from UK history so in a sense their history is mine also.

We are off tomorrow to visit York, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Carlisle, Cardiff and return for one last day in London before returning home.

Photos:
  • The tube can be disturbing at first because you have no idea about the direction you are moving. I was dead scared of catching the wrong train, but in the end enjoyed darting about London on it.
  • The London Eye gave this great view of the Parliament buildings. So much history! So many issues have been beaten out within those walls.
  • I think the bridge looks great! It still opens, but big ships have to give 24 hours notice these days. The spaces around it are marvelous... the Queens Walk, the river sides etc.
  • The Tower with a battle between two armoured "knights" happening and people cheering.
  • The video below of Big Ben signaling 11 a.m. I remember as a kid sitting around a scratchy radio listening to Big Ben chime!

No comments: