Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, January 27, 2011

"Elderly"? Blah!

I was in my gym pedalling my wind trainer bike this morning. I was watching the Breakfast show on TV. The young presenters were talking about the Christchurch earthquake and saying, "My sister had some elderly people living in the house next to them. You know, they were 50's to 60 ish people...." and he went on to talk about the impact on them. 50's - 60 ish "Elderly people"? .... Come on!

To you young people let me tell you from a 62 year old, I am NOT "elderly"! It may take me all night to do what I used to do all night! A romantic weekend now may be one "active" night and one night to get over the active night. I may have a sore knee, and may never again better my personal best time in a half marathon. I may need some help with sussing out the computer from time to time, but don't you dare describe me as "elderly"! What people do when they describe people as "elderly" is basically say, "You know... those people passed their used-by date." People think that elderly people are just sitting around waiting for God. That they have no valid opinion to offer, no good perspective on things. It is ironical, you bluff your way through life and just when you think you may have a little bit of wisdom about life, and know a little bit about what is important, this world which values youth so much, has stopped listening and written you off!

I have to chuckle. I have mixed recently with young people who are on the sustainability bandwagon. They express opinions as if it was their new idea. I sit there and think that we hippy-minded people of the late 60's, early 70s were saying the same sorts of things back then with the same youthful enthusiasm! In many ways they are re-inventing the wheel. But good on them.

Anyway, if you are going to call me "elderly" at least don't write me off. I am still dreaming dreams and looking to grow, and wanting to take on more challenges. "Blah!" to "elderly"!

No comments: