Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Recipe for a long life


I had news just on Christmas that an old college lecturer of mine had died. His name was Gordon Stirling and he was well into his 90s. I posted about him then. Yesterday I was looking through some resources and found a speech he gave at his 90th Birthday. I received a copy of it, so I am thinking he would not mind it being passed on. He called it "The Recipe for long life."

Many people have asked me in recent times how I am very fit and well in spite of my 90 years. So at my birthday celebration I repeated the sort of reply that I often give.

1. I enjoy life.
2. People, all people, fascinate me. I have never yet met any one I couldn't like. If ever I do I will be fascinated to find out why they are like that, or why I am like that!
3. I eat good food, especially plenty of fruit and vegetables.
4. I exercise daily and also do a lot of walking.
5. I have favourable genes. My mother lived till 96. A second cousin died the other day at 100. ... and we are a family of incurable optimists.
6. A long time ago I started learning something about life that for me is basic. I have been learning it ever since and am still learning it. That is that the secret of real living is living joyfully with God, and living for people. Maybe an explanation will help.

My God doesn't live above the solid blue dome, sitting on a throne for ever and ever, watching people hurling their crowns along the glassy sea in front of him. How boring for God! There is no place where God isn't. He is with every one whether they know him or not. He is creating in all who are open to it, love, peace, compassion, wisdom, insight, health and comfort, whether they know him or not. He is healing through healing teams, dedicated researchers and others, whether they know him or not. I can share this creative work with him, and it is exciting. He knows me better than I know myself and still accepts me "warts and all" and works with me towards my potential. He doesn't promise to exempt me from the rough stuff in life, but he does promise to give me what it takes to handle it well. And so far he always has, and really I don't want any more than that.

And the "living for people" bit? It is satisfying and fulfilling, and it's fun! And the opposite of that lifestyle is "hell". People who live for themselves have a terrible existence. Nothing really satisfies them. They get hurt easily. They get upset when they can't get their own way. They are often in conflict. And they are often way down in the downward spiral of self-pity. Some get so far down they can't get up again.

Well that's my recipe. There is no patent on it!

I think there is quite a bit of common sense in that bit of writing, I thought I'd pass it on. He was a good guy who did a lot for a lot of people. Gordon is the guy seated on the right in the photo above. He was into his 90's then and still going strong.


No comments: