Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday update..

My "day off"....
  • We Skyped with my son in Poland and caught up with him, which took a bit more time than I had anticipated. It was good though to see him.
  • I set to work preparing for the funeral which I had to run at 2:30 p.m.
  • The phone rang and it was a man from one of my chaplaincies who described the death of his sister's ex. As he talked I realised I knew the man. He wanted to know if I was available later in the week for a funeral if need be. The dead man had been addicted to alcohol... it is very sad. I received a further phone call about this and was to get a call back later tonight.
  • I continued working and while having a bite to eat before heading out to conduct the funeral, there was yet another phone call. A chaplain. A very awkward issue had come up in her chaplaincy where she needed an extra chaplain for a meeting on Wednesday. Would I be willing to come along. I talked it over, finished my lunch and headed out to take the funeral. I was to get a further phone call about this later also.
  • I conducted the funeral and actually enjoyed it. The lady who had died sounded like a real gem of a woman with a very talented family. As they with love celebrated her life I felt privileged to be a part of it. I kept pronouncing her name incorrectly... I hope they will forgive me.
  • I went to the fire station to get a phone number, and talked with two men about family health issues they were having.
  • I came home and we had a cup of tea then went shopping.
  • I received my phone calls. I do not have big responsibilities with the man who died. I will continue to support the man who rang me. I will however be spending time with the CEO of a firm supporting him through a difficult issue on Wednesday.
That was my Monday "day off". Life is never boring and I began to wonder when the phone calls would stop. I do have a busier week ahead than I had planned. I thought I should report to any faithful readers that in spite of my grumpiness, I enjoyed conducting the funeral. There are rich rewards in my job that I need to remember when it seems difficult.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

I'm a "faithful reader" and your descriptions of your working life (or just "life" in general) leave me dizzy at times. But...

IF Jesus Christ really lived, and IF he was as described in the Book, and IF he is your role model -- well...

He wasn't always nice. And he wasn't always agreeable. And he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. And he needed his solitude at times (or "time for himself")...

I don't really know where I'm going with this at this late hour, after a long and busy day -- but I just thought I'd throw that out there, with the proviso that I really admire the sort of person you are and the work you do.

Dave Brown said...

Agreed... :-) I just have to find the balance and make sure I piss off the right people for the right reasons.

I also think life has its seasons... sometimes I will be busy.. in a year or so I may get to do other stuff. e.g. when my kids were young I could not do a lot of the stuff I do now. Now I have more freedom but still am reasonably healthy.

As ever, I appreciate your comment.