Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What a day...

Today could change my life. I still have a decision pending, but I took a step toward maybe being free of some responsibilities. Of course there have been some conversations and I need to follow through on those and do some thinking, but there is already a certain sense of relief.

I tried... This afternoon I visited the Immigration Department to try to find a way that a lady whose visa runs out in a few days could stay in the country and be employed by us. After running madly to the office we asked question after question. The lady behind the counter pushed a button and printed out the rules. She was very nice about it and quite sympathetic, but with each question she quoted the rule that basically said, "No!"

The two situations are similar. Both in the one causing me to rethink the responsibilities in my life, and in the Immigration Department there is an inflexibility of rules that say "this is how things are done and you can't do anything else." Like the primary school teacher who tells the child to colour between the lines... "don't go outside the line!" Somehow, then and now I find "the lines" too constrictive.

Watch this space. My life may change to being simpler and more focused, but the lady I am trying to help may unfortunately have her dreams squashed.

It has been a roller coaster of a day, I head to bed with my mind buzzing.

No comments: