Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not a teenager anymore.


"Wanda" won't start.
We arrived home this morning after roll starting "Wanda" (our 1990 Nissan Bluebird) I went to work and came home after 7p.m. I had my tea blobbed out in front of TV, watched another program then decided to check for emails and then go out and checkout Wanda. Head light switched on, Swandri coat, keys, voltage meter and I ventured out into the night in our drive way. I Measured the power in the battery. I found the starter motor and wobbled the leads. I attached jump leads and attempted a start, and did a couple of other tests. It is obviously not a battery problem, but a starter motor or lead connection problem.

When I was young I would think nothing of setting up a lead light and working on a car outside in the winter until midnight. I have taken many starter motors out and cleaned up connections. I have been known to take starter motors apart and clean them up and get them going again. But tonight after I had done my tests I looked at the motor, felt the chill in the air and decided to call it quits. I probably could have at least diagnosed the problem some more and maybe taken the starter motor out to take in to an auto electrician. But tonight I decided that getting cold, getting dirty, bending over at funny angles, lying on concrete and doing all this in the cold dark air was not for me. I shut the bonnet and went inside in the warm again. I must be getting old.... as a young man I would have loved doing that!

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

As a young woman I would have pressure washed both decks in one day. Now I do it for about an hour at a time. No sense wearing myself out early in the day!