Failure to wonder at yourself."People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering. .... St Augustine.
"Happiness is inward and not outward;
and so it does not depend on what we have,
but on what we are." .... Henry van Dyke.
"One should not pursue goals that are easily achieved.
One must develop the instinct for what one can just barely achieve
through one's greatest efforts.'
(Oh dear ... in my experience this one is hard to calculate.)
"Try not to become a person of success,
but rather try to become a person of value."
A successful man?
That man is a success;
- Who has lived well, laughed often and loved much;
- who has gained the respect of intelligent people and the love of children;
- who has filled his niche and accomplished dreams;
- who leaves the world a better place than he found it;
- who has never lacked appreciation of beauty and failed to express it;
- who has looked for the best in others and gave the best he had.