Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, May 23, 2011

Two brothers.


When I was driving through town today I honked my horn and waved out at a man I know. He grinned and waved enthusiastically back at me. While I was running tonight I got to reflecting on this man. He is one of two brothers I know. They are both in their sixties. One is very religious, the other does not attend church, except when he was a child the family attended a very conservative church. On the surface one would think that I would have more in common with the religious brother. But I feel more drawn to the non-religious one.

Whenever I meet the religious one he immediately wants to talk "religion" and "Church". He shares what's going on at his Church. (often in a boasting type of way) He tells me his latest religious hobby horses. He pontificates on what churches should be doing etc. etc. When I meet the non-religious one he says "Hi, how the hell are you?" and he listens to the response. We talk about our health, our weekend, our attempts or lack of attempts to stay fit, our plans for exercise and anything else that happens in our lives. His conversation is often dotted with "light" swear words, and there is often gentle teasing and laughter.

My question: Which is the more "spiritual" conversation? The religious one, where we talk religion? Or the one where two people actually "connect" as people and are genuinely interested in each other? I know I feel warmed and valued in conversations with the non-religious brother. I often feel the religious brother is more on guard, competitive and trying to evaluate where I fall on the theological spectrum. (I think it is sad that religion often seems to distort otherwise nice people. They feel they have to be 'religious' and therefore are not open to themselves or others.) True spirituality should do the opposite!

Often when I talk to religious people about my community orientated activities they will ask, "Do you get a chance to talk religion to them?" or some such question. It really annoys me. I am deeply privileged to connect with people, to laugh, listen and love. To me that is truly "spiritual". Sometimes faith issues do come up, but they don't have to for the conversation to be deeply spiritual.

Just thought I'd share that... it is along the theme of my last post.
Photo: Conversations in Space2B.

No comments: