Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Can I really say what I like?

A friend put this on her facebook page.



I love this statement, but is it really true? Example... Sometimes as a chaplain people are down right rude to you just because you are a chaplain. I have said a simple "Hello... I'm the new chaplain." and people have reacted rudely. Can I say what I feel then? I would not keep my job. I would never get another opportunity to break through with that guy.  Another example. A lady from a group using our church hall rang up and complained about the noise of another group using the upstairs hall. I was just trying to relax after a nine and a half hour day. I don't particularly like her group anyway. They leave out their chairs for me to put away. They inconveniently store stuff in our cupboards. They use the hall once a month and don't really pay much for it. ... Now if I said what I felt when she rang up interrupting my dessert... well it wouldn't have been very "minister like" language. Sometimes too you disagree with your boss. If you say what you feel you can pay for it. It is best to sometimes to keep a reign on your tongue. Some of the World Cup Rugby players are learning that they can't say what they feel. The hierarchy in the rugby world don't like it. .. in fact I think it has got to ludicrous levels in this RWC. .. who sees mouth guards? I know one keen rugby coach who was not going to any games because he determined it had stopped being a sport and was just business.  Sometimes it just does not pay to say what you feel.  To get Biblical, James has a bit to say about this:

James 1:19

19You must understand this, my beloved: let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger;

James 1:26

26If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless.

James 3:5-8

5So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great exploits. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! 6And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is placed among our members as a world of iniquity; it stains the whole body, sets on fire the cycle of nature, and is itself set on fire by hell. 7For every species of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, 8but no one can tame the tongue—a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

Now I am not usually a Bible basher, but I think James has a point. I know from experience how hurtful a tongue can be. I think James is right. Maybe when I retire I can be more free to say what I think, because just now it does matter what people think, I could lose a job or two. But always I am "called" to be responsible, constructive and caring in what I say. That's the ideal, I fall far short of that. What do you think?

No comments: