Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Sunday run.

I actually ran!

Because of my knee which became sore with running toward the end of last year, I have not run for months. I decided that today I would give a run a try to see if my knee holds up. At my brewery chaplaincy on Friday my friend weighed me and I was the heaviest I have been in years. I really have to start running and exercising regularly again. I jogged 5k and this my first run was OK. We had the hottest day in Dunedin for a long time. It was nice to feel the warmth and feel mobile again. I can do it! Maybe I will aim to run in the Masters games in February.


My dream

As I walked up the mountain yesterday I had an insight into my dream for the Church, with Space2B as an important part of that. I saw trees with extra growths on them. There was the main tree trunk but growing on that trunk were vines, mosses and other plants. My vision for the church is that there will be the Church - the "tree trunk" with other life enhancing community groups growing on, supported by and encouraged by the main plant. The Church will be a community with porous boundaries, not just those who congregate on Sunday. We will be on a journey expressing "Jesus values" and discovering deep truths and community along the way.
It is happening a little bit. We are encouraging and assisting a few life-enhancing groups. Space2B has some difficult things to cope with and we need to work through. I guess my dream will not fully happen during my working life. (2 years left) I don't think we have the full backing, the understanding or the commitment to really implement the dream.  It is hard for people to think outside the square and change from traditional concepts of "church". I will continue with it because I firmly believe it is a relevant shape for an inner-city church and gives true expression to a Jesus involved in the community. We will have to see what happens in the next two years.



Retirement?

I have been wondering what I am going to do when I hit 65? On one hand I look forward to a time when I don't have  responsibilities hanging over my head all the time. I also look forward to a time when I can escape some of the frustrations I feel in both church and chaplaincy organisations. On the other hand I don't like to think that my abilities, experience and the learnings I have will be just shelved and that I will just sit around. I still want to make a contribution.  It will be interesting to see how I feel closer to the time.

A H Reed memories
A H Reed
After I walked to the top of Mount Cargill I continued on down the road and then turned up the "A H Reed Track". It is named after a well known Dunedin identity who died in 1975 at the age of 99. He was one of the founders of the Reed Publishing house. He wrote over 100 books in his time, was an interesting character and one of my heros when I was growing up. He visited schools and gave talks. He supported worthy causes and was well known as a walker. He loved to walk and walked the length of NZ twice if my memory serves me correctly. In the late 1960's my then girlfriend (now my wife) and I went on a 21 mile walk from the centre of Dunedin walking north with a large group of young people. It was called "Operation 21".  I cannot remember the cause. It was a peace walk or a fund raiser for hungry people or both. We dreamed of a better world... I'm still that teenager dreaming. A H Reed, then in his 90's joined us and walked at least half way to Waitati. I remember being in a group walking with him and chatting on the way for a time. I have just read his very first book, it was a birthday gift from my son. It was hand written for his wife during WWI. He was stationed at a military camp in the North Island and went on an Easter weekend walk around areas in the centre of the North Island. He was forty years old then. My father in law knew him, talked with him from time to time and went on a couple of local walks with him. We had a man in our Church who accompanied him on one of his length-of-NZ walks and he told me a little about the adventure. I sat on a seat on the A H Reed track to have a drink on Saturday, and these memories of a real gentleman and scholar came back to me. I guess he contributed to my love of walking in NZ country side.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

You've sure been getting metaphorical lately, what with board walk nettings, and vines and mosses on tree trunks...

I really enjoyed "A.H. Reed Memories".

And the earlier piece -- What would Jesus do? If I try to read the gospels, what do I get a feel for? An intolerant man who dished out scathing criticism and often insults, and who told people off, even kicking them out of his Father's house... When reading your blog post on the challenging member of the group, it seems you have given him more rights than anyone else in the group, or have I misinterpreted that? He "ruins it for other people" suggests he is more important, and so long as he is happy, others can remain unhappy. Is he like a child? Children who are not corrected eventually become miserable.

Dave Brown said...

Metaphorical... must be my age? I also am a basic tradesman so I often think in pictures. It helps me sort through the crap to the essence.
Gospels - intolerant man... interesting perspective. Jesus was intolerant of the religious leaders of his day. They were part of a rich elite who used the system to keep the underdogs down. Jesus was often angry with them, but often too his anger had an element of sadness. On the other hand he was criticised for mixing with prostitutes, lepers, outcasts and "sinners". .. i.e. for being too tolerant?? Thinking of this issue there is a lot in understanding the cultural setting of his day, the nature of the writing in the gospels (e.g. many stories shaped by later history) and also our often mistaken view of Jesus as "gentle Jesus meek and mild, wouldn't hurt a little child". He thinking about faith struck at the heart of the religious-political status quo. Hence crucifixion. Thanks for your comment you have started me thinking... maybe some blog posts coming up.
Yes this guy is like a child though in his 60's. Has a "disorder" so the powers that be say. A bit paranoid and a brain that races... probably a high IQ but emotionally a child. I have all sorts of mates.
Always nice to hear from you.