Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Weekend waffle (NZ won the Rugby World Cup)

I have had my normal busy week and a very busy weekend.  On Friday night we had our Drop-in centre then we watched the bronze medal match for the Rugby World Cup on the big screen at the Church.  It was after 11 when I arrived home. I thought of all I had to do before Sunday and said to my wife, "I really do not think I have enough time to do what I need to do!" I was up early on Saturday morning. I had a "to do" list. The Church Newsletter - I had a sort of wedding ceremony to work out (A nephew who had got married in Germany was having a NZ wedding and I had been asked to do whatever ceremony there would be.) - I had quite a bit of work to do toward the morning worship - I had a Sunday afternoon service to do at a elderly persons' rest home and had to prepare for that. We had to leave for a 3 hour drive to the wedding in Cromwell by 1 p.m.  I worked hard all morning though I had a little bit of distraction with a phone call that went on for a while. We drove to the wedding. I was nervous, but it went OK. I enjoyed catching up with my brothers. We shared in the meal and sat around chatting and meeting people. Then at 9:45 we drove off toward home arriving home at 12:35. I was late to bed.  Again I was up early on Sunday to do final preparations, prepared power points,  led the Sunday service and then did a good job of my afternoon service.  I don't look forward to these rest home services, but when I do them and do them well, the old folks really appreciate the effort. It was so nice hearing them say to one another, "I'm glad I came to Church today. That was good!"

I have a week off now. I hope to do some gardening and then we spend some time with our family. It is a funny feeling. I have already clicked on the readings for next Sunday out of habit, then suddenly thought "Why am I doing this?" I will wind down and enjoy my week.




Just now I am watching France play NZ in the final of the Rugby World Cup and so far it is a bit of a nail bitter. Here's some photos. The first two are where the wedding was held. Pretty nice place to hold a wedding.  The last one is a group of people gathering in Church to watch the final on the big screen.

Extra late stop press: The All Blacks (NZ rugby team) won the final of the Rugby World Cup! It was a tough match and they only won by one point! Phew! As I delivered people home tonight I could hear partying going on all around town. .... In spite of my cynicism the Rugby World Cup event has gone well in NZ. I still don't like the business/politics of it all, but there has been quite a festival atmosphere about it all.

No comments: