Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Monday, October 17, 2011

Coffee break post...




I am busy doing "Church office stuff" and decided it was coffee break time. I have seen three posters that I thought worth passing on. One in an email and two posted by friends on Facebook. I usually find myself impatient with the Dalai Lama. Perhaps I don't understand his position or purpose, nor do I know all that he does, but to me it is easy to sit above the "real world" and pontificate.  I get similarly frustrated and annoyed about many liberal church discussions and indeed prayers. Its OK to talk about stuff, but often it just feels like mental gymnastics with no real action to follow. (Though I would class myself as theologically with them) To me real, mud-on-your-hands, confusing, challenging involvement-to-make-a-difference is what matters. But I do like his perspective in this quotation. Similarly I get annoyed with superficial positive thinking "proverbs" which often do not touch the harsh realities that people face. ( e.g. I have a brother-in-law, a lovely bloke, in the hospice at present. I feel so sad for him and my sister. Neither "deserves" their predicament.) This one that says "nobody said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it" brings some balance and significance to positive thinking. The last one is just for fun.

No comments: