Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

People

I worked in my office all morning. At lunch time I chatted with friendly people in Space2B. I went from there to share with the family of the man whose funeral I am leading on Friday and they talked of their Dad, their childhood and how special he was. I then called at the fire station because some of them knew this man. I sat and chatted there. It was not getting precious other work done, but I finished the day feeling very privileged.  For about six hours people had allowed me into their lives and their experiences of life. I came away feeling the warmth of human friendship and a sense of "the sacred". People connecting with people and being allowed to be part of that. It was just precious to be where people had no hidden agenda, and were just real and open with one another.

Last Thursday at St John ambulance some nice things were said about me. One of the nicest communications had no words about it. A man I had shared with during a crisis in his life came to me in the midst of a group, reached out his hand, grasped my hand firmly, looked me intently in the eye, nodded and smiled. He shook my hand, grinned at me, nodded again and left. It was a heartfelt and deep connection, a deep act of appreciation for moments shared. I felt fulfilled.

I was reading today an article by Paul Tillich. He says "Joy is nothing else than the awareness of our being fulfilled in our true being, in our personal centre."

"Emptiness is the lack of relatedness to things and persons and meanings. It is even the lack of being related to oneself."

In these experiences of relating to real, open, friendly people and having the privilege of sharing life with them, I find fulfillment, I discover real joy. It is deeper than "fun" and more rewarding than "happiness".

For this I am deeply grateful.

No comments: