Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Concrete and "who" won?

I can lay concrete
I had offered to lay some concrete to finish a couple of jobs on an old Habitat for Humanity house. Last Saturday my wife and I went up and put the boxing in. I worked out where to put it and the levels. It really was a small and easy job but I was a bit nervous thinking that the "experts" in Habitat would be critical of my skills. I measured everything and then last Monday did my best maths to work out how much concrete I would need. (I had worked it out before but I wanted to check) We ordered the concrete to be delivered and on Saturday we went up to lay it. The truck was half an hour early which meant my daughter and son-in-law who were coming to help, had not turned up yet.  We did have some help from an ex-carpenter Habitat guy, but I was pleased he generally trusted what I was doing. I went about the task of screeding it and floating it. When we had washed up everything I "looked at it and saw that it was good." (As the Bible says about God and creation.) We had a little concrete left over which we used on a couple of little projects for the lady in the Habitat house next door who had helped us. I am soo not confident! I was relieved that it looked "professional" - the levels were OK - and that the quantity was right. (The house holders or their visitors later marred it by stepping on it.) I can do such things but I do lose sleep over them before hand. If it was my house I would not worry a scrap. I do love fixing things and physical projects. It is a great feeling looking at the completed job. The local Habitat is now buying old houses and tidying them up rather than building new ones. Apart from some difficulties that I have with recent Habitat policies, I would rather be building something new. We looked at the recently purchased house and I wasn't inspired.


"We" did not win!
I get annoyed when people watching their teams celebrate by saying "we won". We did not win. We sat in our lazy boy chairs and watched! Our team won. The NZ All Blacks won against the Australian rugby team.... I enjoyed the win but I had nothing to do with it. It is funny that the same people who say "we won" will very quickly say "they lost" if their team loses. I actually think a lot of people who sit and watch sport would be better off if they got off their bums and did some sort of sport or exercise. Anyway just my little gripe for the day.

No comments: