Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, September 30, 2011

I am "wire netting".

I have just been for a walk up "my mountain" (Mt Cargill) while writing my sermon in my head.  On the track there are several board walks and the board walks have netting nailed to them. The netting is essential! I recall tramping down near the southern most tip of the South Island of New Zealand. I was walking through bush beside my wife and it was raining. We came to a small bridge over a stream and should have gone over it in single file. It was a board walk type bridge with netting on it. I, however, stepped onto the outer edge of the bridge where there was no wire netting. It was as slippery as ice. With a big pack on my back I went down in a heap one, foot dangling in the creek underneath. I bruised myself badly, and ever since have made sure I stay on the wire netting whenever I encounter a board walk. Wet wood is slippery.
As I walked over board walks today I got to thinking that I am a bit like netting on a board walk. I may not see the results of my actions or work, but maybe, just maybe my efforts help to give people traction in life and stop them falling over? I thought also that there are people in my life who are like wire netting helping me to have traction and not slip over. Just part of my musings while I walked. :-)

No comments: