Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Other People's problems

Today seemed to be a day of people throwing things at me. Some of them were my problems but others were not.  I just read an article that reported on a survey. It said, "Almost half of kiwi workers want to quit their jobs." (Interestingly enough many blamed "systems and processes" for the way they were feeling - a familiar feel for me.) As I picked up my wife at 6 p.m. tonight, I said in frustration, "I really feel like telling everyone, Church, chaplaincy and the lot, to get stuffed!" Perhaps it was having an extra day off and having to catch up, but today felt yuck! I can't tell you all that happened but it made me remember a quote a colleague gave me years ago. I share it with you.

It is headed; WE HAVE A PROBLEM....


We do not have a problem, and we will never again have one. I'm sure there is a problem, but it is not ours, it is either yours or mine. The first item on the agenda is to neaten up the pronouns and find out whose problem this is. If it turns out to be my problem, I hope you will help me with it. If it turns out to be your problem, I will help you with it subject to the following condition:


At no time while I am helping you with your problem will your problem become my problem, because the minute your problem becomes my problem, you will no longer have a problem and I cannot help a person who does not have a problem! 
(From: The one Minute Manager Meets the Monkey. by Kenneth Blanchard - page 75)


To give an example of what happened. I was listening to the son of a woman who died on Monday. He was telling me all about the event and their life. (I lead her funeral on Friday) The phone rang and it was this person who launched into their problem. They must have sensed my hesitancy, so they asked, "Is it OK, can I talk with you for five minutes?" I replied that, "Well no, I have a guy in the office at the moment, can I ring you back?" They then proceeded to tell me, speaking quickly, more about their problem. The flow of conversation with the man in my office ceased and "the moment" (the healing moment) as they say, was ruined.  My day seemed to be dotted with moments like that.

 The events made me think of the above quote I have pinned on my wall at home. I will have a more productive day tomorrow, I hope.  I have heaps of hours of chaplaincy to do; I have Sunday's service to sort; I have to be ready for a funeral on Friday. ... stop waffling and get back to work David!

2 comments:

Linda Myers said...

The phone. The Interrupter. I try not to answer mine if I'm in conversation with someone else. If it's important, they'll call back.

Nevertheless, you're probably so well regarded people can't wait to tell you their problems.

Dave Brown said...

Hi Linda. Yes I have just been for my monthly supervision session and my supervisor said, "Why did you answer the phone?" I recall being at a meeting in a ministers front lounge. The phone rang and we expected him to answer it. He let it keep ringing and continued with what he was saying. He paused briefly to comment, "The phone is an invitation not a command." I should get more like that.