Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Its Sunday again

Involvement costs
This past week has been a bit dramatic. We had confirmation of bad news for a brother-in-law battling cancer. * I finished as Workplace Chaplain at St John Ambulance. That was a bit hard. I took a cake just to mark the occasion. * I ended up in the middle of a controversy and was abused because of that. But on Friday it turned out OK and I suspect my little bit contributed to a positive result. A bit stressful though. * At Drop-in centre we had a husband and wife who had been having trouble and she could take it no longer. She decided to use the Drop-in centre as the place she could plan an "escape" to the women's refuge. She and her two grandchildren (who they basically parent) disappeared part way through the night. The couple had been together 30 something years so it was, for me a bit sad to watch the demise of this relationship though it seemed, from her point of view a hopeless case. I think its a bit tough having to bring up grandchildren later in life, and these two are especially demanding. I decided that involvement in the community or with people costs. If I was a good "in-house" church minister then I would not have to feel the pain of so much "real" life. There would of course be pain in the lives of my church people, but community involvement just adds to my experience of anguish. But then again, I would not have the real sense of meaning, connection and relevance that involvement brings.

Mountain walk


I walked up my Mount Cargill mountain today.  After stormy weather the last couple of days this afternoon was sunny and calm.  I brought this decayed leaf home. It is just like intricate lace work. Isn't nature grand? See all the little vessels that feed the leaf? Amazing stuff! I attempted to video the expansive view from the top of the mountain. (Sorry about the heavy breathing if you have your sound on) 
Just to do some thinking out loud for a few moments - Many Christians would wax on about the amazing leaf and the scenery and attribute all this to God the creator. I am amazed at nature! I love nature, micro and macro. I love my own body and am really impressed with the way it all works... long may it continue. I am thankful for these aspects of life. ... but.. to believe in God do you have to believe in a creator God? Some religions don't. Nature happens, but God is still a part of life, but not necessarily the creator... just there? If you tie "him" into being creator what do you do with earthquakes, cancer, cruel Alzheimer's disease and tsunamis and hurricanes etc? Was he having a bad day when these slipped in? To thank God for the leaf must we also see him as creator of these things too? Just thinking out loud. I was never truly convinced with the theological rationale for natural evil. They seemed like theological gymnastics. Creation and nature have an independence from God. I certainly do not think he is a puppeteer in the sky controlling life and death. Yet I believe in the reality of God and sense a sacred presence in life. ... anyway I loved my walk up the mountain.
Fathers day and Birthday
It is Fathers Day here in New Zealand. I have been fielding phone calls and texts from my Children for Fathers day. My son in Edinburgh put a message on Facebook saying: "Hey Dad, Happy Fathers Day, Your one in a mill'! Hope you had an awesome day!!"  Which I think was neat. My daughter and Son-in-law gave me a Speights Clock since I am chaplain to the Brewery in Dunedin. They have dared me to have it on the wall in the Church office. Perhaps I will, but there will be rumblings in grave yards around Dunedin. Many tea total ex-church members will be spinning in their graves!
On Tuesday I turn 63. I will have a busy day for a birthday. But... when did I get that old? It is only two years until I can retire? Will I feel I have done all that I want to do as a Church minister? I look at my acre of ground here and look forward to having more time to enjoy gardening, building and "farming".  But maybe there are more ministry adventures to be had? I was intrigued this morning. I departed from taking up the lectionary readings and did a topical sermon. A few people mentioned how much they appreciated it and how I have a real gift in communicating so that the "average" person can grasp it. It does not take away the difficulty of it all though. Anyway... 63 ... sounds so so old... here I come!


No comments: