Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday night drop-in

I had another busy Friday. I conducted a funeral for the mother of one of the guys at St John Ambulance at 11 a.m. I had typed up everything the night before but during the night decided on some changes. I hit the office planning to make those changes. I did some work for a Women Across Cultures group that meets in our hall. I responded to a phone call from the Night Shelter Chairman. We were just finishing our discussion when my cell phone rang. It was another relatively short but intense phone call. That seemed to be the way of it for the rest of the morning. I had four visitors to the office and another two phone calls before rushing out to lead the funeral. I did get the changes to the funeral service made but when I made a cup of coffee thinking I could go over it before rushing out the door, I had my final visitor just come to chat. The funeral went well. I have done three for this family in the last nine months.

Arriving back at the church I spent the afternoon doing chaplaincy work at the Newspaper  and fire station till well after five. At 6:30 we started our Friday night drop-in centre. We did not have many there but I thought I would tell you about it. It begins when I open the door and 30 - 40 people come in and go to the upstairs hall (The Upper Room) I try to greet the ones I know by name as they come through the door. There are some pies/sausage rolls (left-overs from a bakery) on saucers, hot savaloys (with tomato sauce and bread) dished out and sandwiches and bread rolls available. A container of cold drink is available and an urn where they can make themselves coffee, Milo or tea. Buns and biscuits are served during the night. Some rush to the two pool tables, others watch TV and all just catch up on each other. I did the first rush of dishes in a sink in the corner, played a game of pool and then played Table Tennis. There is this chinese guy who loves to play table tennis with me. He is 29 and I am 63. He hits the ball very hard so they are fast paced games up to 11. I think I still win more often than he does, but I cannot say many returns are under control, often they are purely in self defense. He would play all night but I have to pull my weight in talking to others and in doing the housekeeping chores. I always play down one end which allows me to keep an eye on the whole hall.

After at least an hour and a half of table tennis I sat to one side and surveyed the scene. There was "Mary" who was there for the first time. I first met her on Wednesday. A pretty woman in her thirties but with addictions and life hassles. She had been in court during the week. It was interesting watching her. She seemed to relax and looked at peace chatting with people. There is a couple of young girls who come with their mother and grandparents. A student on placement is engaging them in some craft work, though they are easily distracted. They have come since they were little. The grandparents separated the other week, but seem happily together again. An unemployed man comes in and greets me. He leaves early to go and put his father to bed. The father is elderly and disabled and this man spends most of his days looking after him. He calls for some food and a few games of pool and generally checks in with me telling me about his week. An elderly alcoholic/ gambling addict is a regular. I have known him for over 20 years. He wanders town with a trolly and each week says, "Dave I'm gonna get my life sorted out next week." I tell him he's been telling me that for 20years. He knows I am there for him when he needs me. On one pool table are a group of avid pool players playing in teams of two. Others watch. Two of them had a deep disagreement for a few months and one never attended during that time. They seemed to have reconciled and are the best of friends again. The other pool table seems to attract lesser pool players, some still learning the game. I prefer playing there because it is not so serious, just fun, though I can beat the best players when I am "on".  This table is often where I get to know new visitors. I invite  them for a game and chat while playing. The game helps to break the ice, and allows me to cross the bridges of suspicion. I must tell you about "Jack". Jack is a simple guy who lives with supervision. He has anger issues sometimes though he has never lost it around drop-in. He comes with a carer, who generally just joins in the fun. Jack has taken on the job of mixing the cold drink and sometimes helps with the dishes. He always throws cheek at me calling me "old man". This week he told me he had got wild at some stage during the week and felt like physically lashing out at someone. Then he said, "I said to myself, - Dave would be disappointed in me - so I didn't!" When he left I gave him a friendly "man hug" and said "Have a good week - look after yourself." He grinned and said "Thank you... I'll be good.. old man."

I have statistics to fill in for the national body.  - How many baptisms? How many salvations? (Last year I responded "God only knows") Average attendance at Church on Sunday? Offerings etc. Excuse the french - they are bullshit... here on a Friday night amongst this mixed, weird bunch of people God is at work in a way statistics would cheapen. We have been running the drop-in since 1995 and it is still meeting a need and still a place of unconditional accepting divine love.

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

Sounds like a place of acceptance. A good place for people in need to come.