Dunedin, New Zealand, my city - my people

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Two Certificates ... a new role

Crisis Intervention and Management Australasia
I have spent the last three days doing a course in Critical Incident Stress Management / Group Crisis Intervention. It is a course approved by the "International Critical Incident Stress Foundation". I have a bit of paper that says I can do the work I have been doing since 1995. I put my new certificate in my folder of certificates and discovered that I had three other CISM course certificates from various organisations. I do know that I am well trained and quite experienced in this work.
St John Certificate and things
Rose, certificate of appreciation, stole and CISM certificate.
I was invited to go to St John for a "little presentation" tonight. I got over to the HQ building and there were about forty staff and the area committee gathered. There was a speech by the regional chaplain and he welcomed me to the family of St John and formally appointed me as a chaplain, presenting me with a St John Stole. ... the "badge of office". Then the Area Chairperson presented me with a rose bush ... linked to St John ... and a Certificate of Appreciation. A paramedic made a spontaneous speech which I really appreciated. He expressed appreciation for the way I came across and had lunch with them. He appreciated that I allowed them to off load in their way, in their language. He said that the support I gave was most often "very subtle in which we subconsciously unloaded our stuff while you just listened." During the cup of tea and sandwiches later I had many handshakes and expressions of support. I looked around the room and there were couples I had married. There were people whose parents I had buried. There were school aged children running around from couples I had married. "This is saying to you, we want you to keep coming across for lunch with us!" said one paramedic. "We really appreciate your presence." I felt honoured. I felt a little scared that I was launching into another voluntary position with responsibilities. But I also feel excited. It is a good organisation doing good things for the community. I have the opportunity to be there amongst them as a representative of "the Sacred" encouraging and supporting. One door (Workplace Support Chaplaincy) at St John had closed, and another door (voluntary chaplaincy) has opened. My life experiences keep expanding.

No comments: